Chapter 2: Comrades

When Ky and I push open the grand doors of Caste 2 Academy, we're met with a few hoots from some of Ky's guy friends. They surround us like a shield as we make our way down the hallway and to our lockers.

"How does it feel?"

"Is it weird?"

"You guys are so lucky you don't have school tomorrow."

Ky bumps shoulders with a few of them and gives the rest a firm handshake. I roll my eyes at the exchange. He's such a bro. Ky and I have never been at the top of the chain here at school, but my brother inherited my dad's charisma. As a bonus, his award-winning smile makes it hard for the girls to stay away, and the guys are attracted to his brain. I can't remember a day when some kid didn't ask Ky for help with their homework.

Me? I'm always just around for the ride.

"It is a little weird to know we'll be in the resistance soon," Ky admits, rubbing the back of his head.

"Yeah," I add. "But we've been waiting so long for this."

"Well," one of Ky's buddies smirks, "I would personally love to share a barrack with you, Bena." He wraps his arm around my shoulder and squeezes me to him. I can smell his minty breath.

"Mhm, I bet you would, Robby." I grab his hand on my shoulder like it's a dirty diaper and fling it off of me. I hear more hollers from behind me and turn to face them, walking backward.

"Oh, those guys better watch out," Jake chuckles. "This one's hard to get."

I flash one of my own smiles. "That's right. They should watch out. I'm gonna kick all their asses in a fight."

"Miss Marcus," a firm voice snaps. "Language, please."

I whip around to face an angry looking Ms. Russel, whose frizzy brown hair is slicked back in its signature bun. She's wearing a white business pencil skirt and a boxy blazer that makes her shoulders look disproportionate to the rest of her.

"What can we do for you, Ms. Russel?" Ky inquires, putting his elbow on my shoulder.

"Your 18th birthday is tomorrow, correct?"

"Yep," I grin. "Come to congratulate us?

Ms. Russel chuckles, but her brown eyes remain like hard candy. "If I were to congratulate someone, it would be myself for putting up with you for four years."

More hoots and hollers.

Ms. Russel's lips pucker like she's sucking on something sour. "I've been instructed to retrieve everyone whose birthday is tomorrow."

"Really?" Ky asks, his brow furrowing. "I haven't heard anything about this."

Ms. Russel, despite liking my brother much more than she likes me, huffs. "They don't tell you anything."

"Hey, man," Jake says, breaking the awkward silence as Ms. Russel looks around the hallway. "We gotta get to class. Keep in touch, okay? Let us know what happens."

"Got it," Ky replies, fist-bumping his friends. Robby winks at me and Jake kisses my cheek.

"Oh," Ms. Russel suddenly exclaims. "Mr. Yukio, Miss Dove, would you both come here please?"

My eyes follow hers further down the hallway, where two students stand on opposite sides of the hallway, putting their books in their dull blue lockers. One of them, the boy, looks up with confusion glimmering in his icy, blue eyes. He's incredibly attractive, and, as his name suggests, seems like he might have a distant relative of Asian descent. He has a slight slant to his eye shape that makes him look beautiful. He closes his locker softly and runs a hand through soft locks of messy brown hair. His eyes meet with mine.