Chapter 22: Vanish

Nixon clutches the weapon I had picked for him in his hands. His eyes are bright, brighter than they were before, and his skin isn't sickly or pale anymore. He's back to being a beautiful shade of chocolate brown, and his pale blue eyes hold the sky. He even appears to have gained weight.

How is that possible?

"I remember you told us that some yukos heal quicker than others," I say, turning to Grey, who is scrolling through a book on his screen. "Is that the case with Nixon? He's a fast healing yukos?"

"Yes," he replies, without looking up. "The healing period for yukos differs. Some yukos take a really long time to heal and die more easily than other yukos. Other yukos heal incredibly fast. They are also less likely to catch diseases. It's probably why Nixon was the last in his family to catch leechite."

I watch as he returns to his book, flipping to the next page on his screen with a finger still wrapped in a bandage. "So, that would make you a slow healing yukos, then?"

Grey's eyes snap up to me sharply. "What?"

"I broke your finger a while ago," I say, shifting my weight to my other foot. "It still hasn't healed. If you were a yukos, you'd be in the percentage that doesn't heal quickly."

"Oh," he sighs, a look of relief coming to his features. "Well, yes. If I were a yukos, maybe I would be in that percentage. Nixon is amazing." I cock my head to the side.

"Does that mean he'll be well enough to leave soon?" I inquire, my voice getting higher. Hope spreads through my veins.

"Marcus, we've gone over this," Grey mutters, and I know I've annoyed him. "I'm sure Nixon doesn't want to stay here any more than you want him to. He wants to see his family again. He doesn't even know if they're alive or not."

"I know."

"But, yes, he can leave soon," Grey replies, leaning back in his chair. "I don't think he should."

"Why not?" I almost snap the words, but I manage to control my voice at the last moment.

"He was almost dead when he got here. He shouldn't march back outside just to catch leechite again. There's blood we can get for him that is immune to the parasite. We just need to match his blood type, and then he can be on his way."

"Great," I sigh, my shoulders slouching.

"If we get him that blood, he could share it with his family," Grey continues. "That's all he came here to do."

I feel my past thoughts beginning to pop up in my mind. "Are you sure he isn't here to do anything?" I ask suspiciously. "I mean, I know he's a kid, but the yukos could have put him up to something."

"Seriously? You think they'd infect him with leechite and send him here to gather intel?" Grey stands from his place in the chair. "I don't think so."

"I just think we should be doing more to protect ourselves," I murmur. "If he does do something, we're putting everyone in Gambos at risk."

Val taps me on my shoulder. "A dying, 15-year-old yukos is going to do nothing to Gambos."

"You don't know that!" I snap, crossing my arms. "None of you really know what could happen!"

"Neither do you, Kirbena!" Val retorts.

"At least I'm putting the safety of the city in front of my own selfishness," I mutter, scowling. Val shakes her head, taking a seat across from me.

Grey looks at me carefully. "You're in a bad mood," he finally says.

"Am I?" I grimace, jabbing the arms of my chair with the thumb on my nail. "Sorry. I'll just leave and come back a changed person. I'll just throw away my values and my hope to avenge my mother's death."