Dream a Little Dream (Inception: Arthur/Dom) For Me (Chapter One)

I’m a skilled architect; I’m not going to lie about that. After all, I studied in France, where beautiful architecture surrounds you at every turn. It’s almost impossible not to learn from that. I hadn’t grown up in France, though. No, my hometown was London, England. What can I say, I’m a city girl. Perhaps that’s why I wanted to be an architect. What I didn’t know is that decision would change my life. For better? For worse? I haven’t decided. Let me go back to the beginning. Maybe then it’ll make more sense.

            The clock tower chimed lightly, alerting me to the last ten minutes of class. I drummed my pencil against the desk lightly, not really paying attention to the lesson. I already knew the material anyways – why bore myself even more?

            “Alexia, are you listening?”

            “Yes, Professor Miles,” I replied, sitting up a little straighter. I raised my eyes to his, meeting his clear blue gaze. I raised my eyebrows, challenging him to test it. He shook his head wearily.

            “Well, stop drumming your pencil against your desk – it’s distracting to the others who are trying to learn.”

            I smiled in response, but stopped with the pencil. I glanced down at my paper, eyes flicking over my handwriting, and the carefully constructed house there. It was my dream house. I always drew it when I was bored – it came so naturally. I knew where I wanted everything, how it would look, where I’d put the furniture. It’s part of what kept me going – I wanted to build things that people would marvel at.

            “Class, we’re finished for now,” Professor Miles announced. I stood and pulled my bag over my shoulder. He raised a hand. “Alexia, a moment?”

            Hadn’t he gotten enough of yelling at me? I was acing his class; did he really have to scold me for not paying attention? With a sigh I stepped down the stairs, stopping in front of his desk. He was writing on a piece of paper, focused completely on it. I shifted uncomfortably, unsure if I should interrupt him or not. My question was answered when he dropped his pencil.

            “You don’t pay attention much, do you?”

            “I find I don’t need to, Professor,” I said lightly. He nodded musingly, his eyes deep in thought.

            “Yes, you have quite a bit of talent. Which is why I’ve picked you. My son-in-law is looking for an architect for a project of his. A job opportunity, if you will. He often comes to my classes, looking for the best of the best. Two years ago, it was Ariadne.”

            Ariadne. I remembered her. She was so sweet, and one of my good friends. She really was one of the best. When she disappeared, it wasn’t spoken of much. Professor Miles went on as though it had never happened, and I had just supposed that everything was alright, and she’d be back. When she didn’t come back, I tried her phone, but it was disconnected. No one knew where she had gone. Except, it seems, Professor Miles.

            I raised my chin slightly, refocusing. “So. This same person wants another architect? Isn’t one enough?”

            Professor Miles snorted at this. “You would think. Are you interested?”

            “Let me meet him first,” I decided. What was I getting myself into? A job opportunity? I shouldn’t be looking for jobs, I should be trying to finish my education and start building. This guy had better impress me. I leaned back on my heels. “So where is he?”