Dream a Little Dream (Inception: Arthur/Dom) For Me (Chapter Twenty Six)

“I can’t hit any of them,” I ground out, reloading my gun as yet another projection appeared in front of me. A shot whizzed by my ear, and I flinched. Dom lifted his gun and fired three rapid shots, nailing the opposition squarely in the chest. I was beginning to feel panicked. How were we supposed to fight off all the projections and get back to our spot in time? It was a safe room, but still, it would be hard with a group of men following us. I shot another projection, but my arms were getting shaky, and I knew I couldn’t do this forever. “Dom, come on, what are we doing?”

            “We can’t go anywhere,” he replied, completely focused. He spun around, eyes on the projections approaching from behind. I was left to deal with the ones in front of me, who seemed to sense my inability with a gun, and pressed forward.

            “Dom – “

            It was too late, a shot hit me squarely in the shoulder, and I cried out, pain shooting through my entire body. Never had I felt such pain. My gun immediately dropped from my hand and my other hand covered the now bleeding hole in my skin. I scrambled to pick up my gun with my left hand, but the blood covering my skin made the smooth metal slip right out of my hand. Fortunately, Dom was by me in an instant, his shots deadly and accurate. He forced a pathway through the projections, holding my arm and pulling me through. Every step was jarring, making my arm burn even more.

            The projections weren’t giving up. They saw the blood, they heard the pain in my cry, they heard my labored breaths. This was their chance to strike, and they knew it. I tried not to cry, trying even harder to keep a good grip on my gun as I fired. But my left hand was shaky, and I missed nearly every time.

            “Don’t bother,” Dom said into my ear, trying to support me enough that my injury wouldn’t be upset. “You’ll just miss.”

            “There’s too many of them for you,” I hissed back, attempting to reload my gun with one hand while running. In a swift movement, Dom lifted me onto his back. It hurt to hang on, and every step he took was even more painful than the previous, but I knew that if I let go, I’d be dead, not just shot.

            Dom spun around a corner, finding Arthur and Ariadne heading towards us, back to where we were supposed to meet. They barely had a moment to be surprised before Dom pushed past them. “Cover us! Alex is hit.”

            Arthur and Ariadne immediately went into action, guns up, firing shots quickly. The sound was almost deafening. Dom set me down behind them, quickly ripping off the end of my shirt to tie around my wound. I groaned, black spots dotting my vision. My head felt like it was spinning, and I had to grip onto Dom’s arm to keep myself from falling over. “Dom – “

            “Shh. It’s going to be alright. Arthur, don’t you have anything?”

            “No – “

            “Dammit, Arthur!”

            “Alex, don’t faint,” Arthur’s voice warned, cool hands touching my face. I belatedly realized that the shots had ceased. They must have gotten rid of the projections. How nice, I thought, tempted to giggle. But I didn’t. I knew that this was just the pain taking over. It was imperative that I remain calm and keep my mind steady.