Dream a Little Dream (Inception: Arthur/Dom) For Me (Chapter Thirteen)

“That was blunt,” Ariadne murmured lowly as Robert walked away, claiming he had to go get a coffee and that he’d be right back. I shrugged and handed her some more blank papers that I had been playing with.

“We don’t have time to mess around. I’m sure that eventually he’ll remember where he’s seen us. Once he sees Dom or Arthur – well, if – we’re done for. He’ll definitely remember them.”

“We did play him quite badly,” Ariadne said, remembering the mission with a small half smile. I sat down on a bench and patted the seat beside me. She sat beside me, slumped a little. I watched her out of the corner of my eyes. Emotions played across her face and it was easy to see that she was recalling memories both pleasant and unpleasant. Her hand lifted to her hair, brushing a dark piece back behind her ear, and surprisingly, her cheeks turned a light pink color. Ariadne was blushing?

“Ariadne…”

“It’s nothing,” She blurted out, knowing what I was hinting at. I waggled my eyebrows suggestively at her, making her cheeks turn even more red.

“You – oh, it’ll never be a secret anyways. Last year during the mission…well, Arthur and I kind of…kissed. He said it was to distract the projections, but that’s ridiculous, don’t you think?”

My heart stopped dead in my chest and for a moment I had trouble breathing. They had kissed? Arthur knew that nothing would distract the projections, so why would he do that? Unless the unthinkable had occurred and Arthur had fallen for Ariadne. It was very plausible – I hadn’t been there and Ariadne was definitely cute and sweet. She seemed like the type Arthur would fall for.

I felt my nails digging into my palms before I realized how tightly I was clenching my fists. I forced my face to remain smooth, giving away nothing. “Did anything come of it?”

“We didn’t really talk about it,” she admitted. “I just haven’t forgotten it. I’m sure he has, though.”

“You like him.”

Ariadne’s eyes darted to her hands, then back to my penetrating gaze sheepishly. “Y-yeah. Is that dumb?”

“No,” I choked out. I pretended to check my watch. “I have to go. I forgot I was supposed to meet Dom like five minutes ago.”

She looked confused at the change of plans but didn’t protest as I leaped to my feet and nearly ran through the hall, looking for an escape. I didn’t even care that Robert would be back soon expecting a reasonable answer as to why he should buy out all the other companies. Surely Ariadne could handle it. I needed a moment. Blood was rushing through my head and it almost seemed like I could hear the ocean.

Finally I found an empty room and hurried inside, slamming the door shut. I retreated to the opposite side of the room, to the right corner and carefully sat down, holding my head. What was I doing? I must have gone completely insane. This was most definitely not me. I don’t get jealous, I don’t run out and hide in a corner because of jealousy. I don’t avoid people just because they apparently enjoy kissing all of their co-workers. The thought of Arthur kissing anyone else made me angry. I groaned and buried my face in my knees. “I do not need this right now.”