Dream a Little Dream (Inception: Arthur/Dom) For Me (Chapter Twenty Five)

“Today is the day, today is the day,” I chanted to myself, throwing on a sweater and jeans. I could barely stand still, bouncing from one foot to the other. My eyes were bright and sharp, exactly what I needed. Today was the day of the mission. We were going in for Chandler, and I could barely stand to wait any longer. I pulled my hair up into a ponytail and slipped on some shoes, not caring if I matched at all. This mission would need no interaction with anyone. All it would require was a whole lot of shooting down projections, coordination, and removing Chandler from the dream. There would be no level five, no Limbo, nothing. In and out.

            I needed this. I needed this more than anything. I slung a backpack filled with prep items over my shoulder. It was heavy, but that didn’t bother me.

            Outside, I hailed a cab that took me over to the office. I took the stairs two at a time, all the way to the top floor where we worked. When I arrived, it was oddly silent, everyone moving around quickly. I stared at them, waiting for them to notice. However, no one looked up. I cleared my throat. “Hello? What’s going on?”

            Dom was the first to look up, a grimace crossing his face. “Oh. Alexia. You’re here.”

            “Yes…aren’t we supposed to be leaving in like five minutes?”

            “Yes. You’re late.”

            “Well, I’m here now,” I said brightly, dropping my bag on the ground. “So let’s get this show on the road!”

            “Alexia,” A deep, familiar voice said. I froze and turned, meeting the ice-blue eyes of my fiancé.  Richard stepped forward, hands shoved into the pockets of his extremely expensive suit. I didn’t know what to say, but then, I suppose there really wasn’t anything.

            “What are you doing here, Richard?” I asked quietly, grabbing his arm to pull him to the side. So this was why everyone was so quiet. It was because for some ridiculous reason, Richard had decided to show up, and everyone was scared to death of him. Not only that, but it was a harsh reminder to myself, Dom and Arthur that I was actually engaged, not just wearing the ring in pretend.

            Richard ran a hand through his black hair, sighing. He led me outside, into the hall by the elevator. We stood next to the vending machine, identical positioning. Arms folded over our chests, scowl, foot tapping. It almost made me want to laugh, but I didn’t. “You didn’t tell me that you were going in for Inception again.”

            “Technically it’s not an inception – it’s just a recovery mission to get Chandler out.”

            “Either way, I don’t like it.”

            “I’ve been trained for this, Richard, I think I’ll be fine,” I said as calmly as possible. Still, the scowl didn’t disappear from his face and I felt my temper rising. “Besides, who are you to tell me I can’t go? This is Chandler we’re talking about, not some random loser.”

            “I’m your fiancé, so I think I’m allowed to be worried about your future,” he retorted angrily, eyebrows furrowing. “I can’t believe you didn’t think this was important enough to tell me about.”

            “I don’t even know how you found out!” I hissed at him, jabbing him with my pointer finger. “Why are you here, anyways?”

            “I wanted to talk about why you called, but –“

            “And you couldn’t have called for that?”