Dream a Little Dream (Inception: Arthur/Dom) For Me (Chapter Fourteen)

Not now, Alexia? What was that supposed to mean? Did he think I flirted with him for fun, and I just picked an unopportune time for it? I watched his back as he ambled down the hallway, moving quickly. My face was still burning. If he thought I was going to follow him, he was sadly mistaken. With a determined mind set I turned around and set off in the opposite direction, feet pounding against the floor. I didn’t care if he could hear me – I’d like to see him catch up to me.

I ran down the stairs, letting my feet pound against the stairs. Let the projections come. I’d fight them off and finish this job. I didn’t know how I’d be able to stand being down here with Arthur and Dom for another few hours.

I found myself back on the main floor, surrounded by business people. And to my right, Robert. I cursed under my breath and headed outside. It was raining, but that didn’t bother me too much. I crossed the street and faced the building while the downpour flattened my curly hair against my head. I was sure my makeup was running, but hey – it’s a dream, who cares?

Dom would kill me if he knew that I left the building. The projections would probably leave me alone out here, and now there was one less person to distract them. I sat down on the curb, wishing for clean, dry clothes.

A phone buzzed in Dom’s pocket. I jumped, surprised. I didn’t realize that we had phones or walkie talkies or whatever you want to call them. I tentatively pulled it out and hit answer. “Hello?”

“Alex?! What are you doing with Dom’s phone - ? Never mind, you’re with him, right? Tell him that we need to get out of here and get- “

“I’m not with him, Eames,” I interrupted. “I’m outside the building right now. Why do we have to get out? That’s not part of the plan.”

“There’s more projections and they’re even better than last time. Robert’s been getting help protecting his mind. It’s not safe to stay in here. We have to improvise.”

“Right. I’ll find Dom and tell him,” I decided. “Who have you told?”

“No one but you.”

“Okay. You find Arthur and Ariadne and Anna. I’ll try and find the others, okay?”

“Okay. Hurry, Alex. And be careful.”

I snapped the phone shut and forced my legs to push me up. Back in I go. Coming out here was completely pointless, I thought to myself as I ran towards the building. We should have figured Robert would try and get extra protection after he figured out what happened. Dom would have Arthur’s head for this. Or Eames. Or whoever was close enough to blame it on.

When I came in through the doors, I found Richard almost immediately. He was off to the side, hurrying towards a back hallway. His expression was panicked and he didn’t see me approaching until I was practically running after him. He slowed, black hair falling in front of his frustrated eyes.

“What is it? I have to keep moving – “

“You need to get out,” I interjected. “Security is too high for a small place like this. Get out and meet up with everyone else. I’m going to go find Cassie, Chandler and Dom.”

He nodded, and thankfully, didn’t protest or argue. He turned on his heel and set off in the direction of the door. I watched as a projection followed and hoped that Richard would pick up on it. I tried to think back. What floor did I leave Dom at? That didn’t matter, anyways. He would already be gone. I would have to wander and hope I found him, along with Cassie and Chandler. Perhaps I should try and find them first…Chandler would keep Cassie towards the back hallways where it would be easier to make sure she wasn’t getting shot at. The kitchen, maybe?