Dream a Little Dream (Inception: Arthur/Dom) For Me (Chapter Eighteen)

Why was it raining? And it wasn’t just normal rain, it was a cold, torrential downpour, the kind that made you stay inside all day, curled up by the fire reading a book. That wasn’t really an option, though. I stared around the massive acre of land. All that green was unnatural for the city, but that was how Robert liked his home. I ran towards the mansion, trying to cover my head, but I had not anticipated for this and had no jacket.

            I ducked under the outside patio, held up by Roman style columns. The rain poured down relentlessly, dripping off the roof, making pools of water by the break between cement and grass. I spotted a familiar, dark haired girl running towards me.

            “Cassie!” I called, gesturing for her to join me. She did, gasping as she reached dry area. Her hair was stuck to her face, and she looked completely exhausted. I pulled her over to the side of the wall to make sure that we would not be seen. I searched my belt for the gun that should be there. It was attached to the back, I realized, grateful. There was sure to be much more security on this level. “Cass, do you know what you need to do?”

            “I need to go and get everything ready for you guys to go into level four,” she recited, eyes wide. For the first time since I’d met her, I realized just how young this girl was. I resisted the urge to take her into my arms, hugging her. I couldn’t show her that weakness now – she needed someone strong. “I-will I be here by myself?”           

            “No,” I reassured her, taking her hand as I saw figures approaching. I led her around the side of the house. “Chandler is going to stay with you. We’d have Richard stay as well, but he’s being stubborn and wants to come with us through it all. Now listen