Dream a Little Dream (Inception: Arthur/Dom) For Me (Chapter Ten)

“Good morning, all,” I said brightly, nearly skipping through the door. I was more awake today – more so than normal, actually, and I was ready to get something done. Preferably in the dream world. In the main room, however, no one seemed to be in the right mood. “What’s with the long faces?”

“We need to work more quickly,” Richard said, interrupting Dom smoothly. Dom sent him a look, but said nothing about it. Richard, however, seemed to feel very strongly about this. His pale blue eyes were hard – he was not budging on this, and it seemed that no one was willing to argue with him. “I don’t like that he recognizes all of you. What if he goes to the government?”

I let my eyes drift over my silent team. Cassie gave me a small shrug, as if saying, what can you do? And it was true – we couldn’t very well argue with him. He could leave, and then we would have no project. But honestly, this couldn’t be rushed. I could feel my good mood dissipating.

“Er, I understand your concern…but this is a delicate project – “

“I know that,” he interrupted. I resisted the urge to scowl at him. “But if Robert decides he doesn’t want them to fix it, and he’ll just sue – “

“He can’t really sue, can he?” Cassie asked, looking frightened. Chandler rested a hand against her arm comfortingly. But even he didn’t look convinced. Arthur slowly shook his head, sparing Dom the chore of replying in a civilized manner.

“What we do is illegal. If he went to the courts…somehow got proof….well, we’d all be ruined.”

“Out of jobs forever,” I said dryly, sliding into a seat beside Cassie. “What do you think, Dom?”

He ducked his head, staring at his hands. I knew before he spoke what he was going to say. And I didn’t like it. “I agree with Richard.”

“Dom! If we speed it up any more, we’re going to have to do a lot of guesswork,” I argued. Arthur nodded his agreement at this, and I continued. “I don’t like this.”

“We have to work faster,” Dom said quietly. I stared at him in disbelief, then pushed my chair back with a loud scrape. Cassie flinched.

“I guess I better go work then. If we’re going to do what Richard wants.”

I didn’t wait for any reactions. I went straight to the back room, placing my hands on either side of the table, breathing in and out slowly. Speeding up the inception process was a horrible, horrible idea. Mistakes would be made – there was no doubt about it. The question was if it’ll be a life or death mistake, or not.

“Alexia, are you alright?”

“I’m fine, Arthur,” I said, composing myself, slipping on the same calm smile that I showed the world. I turned around, smiling at the dark haired, handsome man. All traces of our close moment last night were gone, and it was back to business. I almost wished it wasn’t. “I’m just stressed. A lot to do, you know.”

“I can help,” he volunteered gallantly. I shook my head.

“You have too much to do. Don’t worry about it. I’ve got Ariadne. Speaking of, where has she been?”

He pursed his lips. “She went to visit family, but she should be back later today. Are you sure you’re alright?”

“I’m fine, I’m fine! Go work on whatever it is you’re working on. I know Dom runs you ragged, and with the time crunch, you need to get some things done. So go! Go!” I shooed him off, though he left reluctantly, giving me a long, piercing look. It took most of my will power to close the door behind him. However, I was stopped by Dom’s foot wedged in between the door and door frame. I raised my eyes to meet his. “Oh. It’s you.”