Dream a Little Dream (Inception: Arthur/Dom) For Me (Chapter Twenty-Two)

A/N: It's about the time to start tallying votes for who she ends up with! Leave a comment down at the bottom with who you think she should end up with; Dom, Arthur, or even Richard.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

         “I bring coffee,” I announced, holding up the tray. Eames groaned with delight, immediately making his way over with sleepy, sluggish movements. Dom and Arthur were crouched over a paper, quietly arguing, and Cassie was doodling on the edge of a notebook, studiously ignoring me. With a sigh, I strolled over to the window and thrust open the curtains, letting the morning light shine in. Dom and Arthur immediately flinched back, but Cassie merely stared at me with uninterested eyes. “Come on, you lot. Let’s speed this up.”

            “Your first day back and you’re already ordering us about,” Eames laughed, patting my back. “Things are as they should be.”

            But they weren’t, as I soon found. Dom and Arthur wouldn’t speak to me except for when absolutely necessary. Cassie was still giving me the cold shoulder, and even Ariadne seemed wary when she came in. Compared to the light hearted banter that I was accustomed to, this was like a funeral. I found myself locked in the architecture room, meticulously rebuilding the dream that I had nearly forgotten. Ariadne worked beside me quietly, taking breaks more often than necessary, but I said nothing. It wasn’t my place to complain – I was lucky they had even let me return for the job.

            Nearly a week after I rejoined the team, I found myself once again in the room, with Dom watching over my shoulder as I attempted to place another building on the model that I had been working so hard on. However, my fingers kept knocking over the surrounding buildings, and after the large rock on my finger got in the way for the seventh time, I yanked it off and shoved it into my pocket.

            “Would Richard like you taking that off?” Dom asked dryly, not really sounding interested in the answer. I gritted my teeth, reminding myself to be patient.

            “He wouldn’t care. Thanks for asking.”

            “Just checking,” he said, reaching around me to right a falling building. I moved out of the way, watching as he worked with practiced hands over the buildings. He placed one in the wrong spot and I sighed.

            “No, that’s wrong. Here.” I ducked under his arm to fix it. He stiffened and I tried not to roll my eyes. I kept my gaze on my work but spoke to him, voice forced calm. “You can’t hate me forever, you know.”

            “I don’t hate you.”

            “You’re doing a great job of acting like it,” I pointed out. I spun around so I was facing him, back painfully in the table. I watched as his eyes flicked down to my lips and I felt the same pull that I had always felt, that pull to connect our lips together. I resisted, instead focusing on the jab of my ring in my pocket. “Come on, Dom. I’m back now. Can’t we put all of this behind us? I’m tired of walking around and having everyone ignore me.”

            “You brought it upon yourself,” Dom said. He stepped away from me, and I felt my heart sink. I reached out and grabbed his arm.