XIII. Decisions

Skylar's POV.

After what could have been decades, the door finally creaks open, a familiar face popping out. "We're done, you can come in now." Newt sighs, then smiles, "sorry it took so bloody long, it turned into a fight between Minho and Clint over who got to have ya."

I laugh and walk into the room. I've never been inside this part of the homestead, a small room that smells of dust and old books. Chairs are positioned in a circle around the room, and are all filled with keepers, except for one empty across from the door. That must be mine, I decide, crossing the room and taking my seat. This gathering was held to determine what job I would get, and I'm anxious to hear the outcome.

"Ok let's bloody get this over with." Newt says, quieting everyone down. "Skylar we've decided to make you a..." My heart thumps wildly inside my chest, what will I get, med-jack or runner? Which one do I even want? Thoughts race through my mind faster than the speed of light.

"...Runner" Newt says finishing his sentence. Minho cheers, but Clint only groans. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "Except..." Newt says, starting to speak again. ".....when the med-jacks need extra help, you will stay and help them." He nods letting us know he is finished. While Alby may be technically in charge, Newt is definitely the spokesperson. Clint perks up at this, while Minho doesn't react, the med-jacks rarely need extra help.

Ok not so bad, I get the best of both worlds really, what more could I ask for. Everyone gets up to leave, murmuring their congratulations as they pass me on the way to the door. Minho walks over, giving me that lopsided smirk that I've come to adore. At this point I've given up on denying the fact that I like him. a lot.

"Guess what we're doing tonight?" He says, giving me an I-know-something-you-don't kind of look.

"What?" I ask hesitantly, slightly afraid to find out.

"we're having a bonfire!!" He says excitedly, just the fact that he's happy making me smile.

"Seriously?" I ask looking at Newt, who still stands behind us.

He nods. "To celebrate you becoming an official glader." Even Newt, who is usually all business, seems excited.

"Yay!!!! Party!!!" I yell jumping up and down like a little kid, squealing in delight and smiling ear to ear. Both boys laugh as we head outside to set up.

A little while later, I sit next to Kate, with my back against a log, watching as the boys pile wood in a big stack in the center of the glade.

"You ladies gonna help or..?" A boy I don't recognize asks.

"Nah we're good." I say laughing, not eager to give up my comfortable spot, or my view.

"After all it is her party Klunk-head." Kate says pointing to me.

"Oh." Is all he says before running off to who knows where. Probably to rat us out to Newt. I can see it now, 'Newt! The girls won't help!' Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

I'm watching the stack grow steadily when I notice Minho. He's currently walking towards us carrying an arm full of wood, his muscles straining under the weight, making them all stand out against his tight t-shirt. Woah, he is ripped. I think my cheeks turning red with heat. He catches me staring, his lips curling into a smirk, "Enjoying the view?" He says flexing his biceps.

"Show-off." I yell at him rolling my eyes in mock disgust. He snickers and returns to his work. I look over at Kate, shocked that she didn't chime in on our conversation, she usually enjoys torturing me. I find her staring at Clint. I giggle, who knew setting up for a bonfire could be so much fun? Kate looks at me and I wink, making a kissy face, which earns me an eye roll and a slap. I don't care, it was worth it.

A couple hours later and everything is finally in place. We stand around in a circle, waiting for Alby to get back from the homestead so we can light the fire. He finally returns holding a small box of matches, "You do the honors greenie." He says handing me the box. I take out a match and strike it, putting the rest of the box into my bag without thinking. I stand there for a few seconds, mesmerized by the dancing blue flame, before dropping it into the center of the wood. I grin as the pile ignites, showering me with sparks. The gladers erupt in a cheer, "Skylar!" "Skylar!" "Skylar!"

A few minutes later I sit beside the log again, watching the scene around me. I'm still laughing about the whole thing when I feel a tap on my shoulder. "Congrats Sky, you're officially one of us now." It's Minho. He smiles and slides down the log so that he's sitting next to me, his arm brushing against mine.

"I'm glad you came." He says quietly, looking the other way.

"Well I wasn't going to miss my own party." I say laughing.

"That's not what I meant, shank." He says tilting his head sideways, his face turning pink in a slight blush.

"Oh" I say finally getting it. I blush at my own stupidity. He laughs but doesn't make eye contact.

Later, the sun long gone, and the flames dying, I sit watching the last whispers of fire flicker across the glowing embers, sending up a glistening haze of smoke, dotted with sparks. Most of the gladers are already sleeping, the rest chatting quietly in the dark. It was a great night, we danced, played games, and laughed until we cried. I sigh tilting my head backwards to look up at the stars, shining against the black sky, so out of place in the ugly maze, still they are breathtaking. "This is nice" I sigh. "Considering you never know which day will be your last here"

"Don't talk like that" A low voice whispers beside me. I turn to find Minho's face inches from mine. His dark eyes shimmer in the firelight, making my heart race.

"You know it's true," I whisper, acting braver than I feel. "We don't know long we have left here."

"In that case, maybe I shouldn't fight it," He says. In one swift motion he pushes my hair behind my ear, sliding his hand down the edge of my face, stopping with his thumb resting at the corner of my mouth. Inhaling a sharp breath I freeze, our eyes locking.

Then before I know it his lips crash into mine, sending electricity screaming through my body. Too soon He breaks away, leaving me breathless and dizzy. I sit there sucking in deep breaths, unable to move or think.

Suddenly I hear a soft whistle from Newt, breaking me out of my trance. I snap my head in his direction. Newt sits there laughing and I feel my face go red with embarrassment, he saw the whole thing. I turn back to Minho who isn't bothered in the least by Newt and sits there smiling like an idiot. Thoroughly embarrassed, I bury my head against his chest and close my eyes, hiding from the world. Here I can almost forget it all, the maze, the grievers, my memory, and just be ok. I sigh, taking it all in, Minho's heart beating wildly in my ears, his strong arms wrapped tightly around my body, the familiar scent of burning wood and smoke drifting through the air, the soft crackling of the fire, the gentle breeze playing with my hair, I will remember this moment forever. A piece of happiness, stolen from the creators and their wicked game.