XI. You Know

I woke up at the base of a tree, thoroughly confused for the first few minutes of being awake. Once I remembered what happened, I slammed straight into a solid wall of guilt. I should apologize. I was half surprised no one had found me yet, though maybe they had and had just decided to let me sleep.

I groaned as I sat up, seriously dreading what I needed to do. The light was just beginning to fade from the sky, and I wondered what everyone was doing.

I decide that apologizing could wait a little longer, and begin wandering, and trying to plan out what I would say. Somehow, 'Hey, sorry I freaked out, I'm stressed.'  Just didn't seem right. Everyone was stressed out, and it was no excuse for the way I'd acted.

For no particular reason I began walking towards the map room. I guess I was still curious about it, also, it happened to be in the exact opposite direction of the homestead. Quit avoiding it. I told myself, but didn't change directions.

I walk up to the building, running my fingers over the cold surface. I see him first, walking out of the trees towards me. I turn to go, but he sees me, and I'm stuck.

"Well look what I found." Says one of the runners, a dark haired boy who's name I don't know. "Minho and Newt's missing greenie."

"They're looking for me?" I ask, slowly taking a step backwards.

"Oh yeah, been looking all over for you for hours." He sneers, walking quickly towards me. "You must be pretty special." A fresh wave of guilt washes over me.

"Oh uh." I stammer, taking a step back, uncomfortable at his rapid approach. Though I feel better, I'm in no mood for this.

"Really, I don't know why they care so much." He says, reaching out to pull a lock of my hair.

"Go away." I say, my voice never wavering. I don't think he'll try anything, but I can't be sure.

"Tyler!!! Leave Sky alone!" It's a voice I'm both relieved and terrified to hear. That's all it takes, and Tyler takes off running in the opposite direction, Leaving my standing there.

I sigh, guess I'll be apologizing now.

"Sky?" He asks from behind me.

"Minho I–"

"Are you ok?!" He says cutting me off, and rushing to my side.

"Uh yeah I'm fine, about earlier."

"Sky–" he says again, grabbing my shoulder and spinning me around to face him. Minho looks confused, his dark eyes lit up in half surprise, half worry. Despite everything I smile, he looks cute when he's surprised. Not that I would ever admit to having thought that.

"I'm ok, he didn't do anything." I assure him. Trying not to be too happy that he even cared.

Minho doesn't look like he believes me, but he nods anyways. "about earlier, I thought you knew I was joking."

I take a deep breath. "No, what happened wasn't your fault, I know you were kidding, it really had nothing to do with that, I just... It's been a hard couple days, and I just... freaked out for no reason, it just happened to be right after you said that, I don't know, I shouldn't have done that ok? I'm sorry."

He sighs, running a hand through his hair. I'm finding it harder and harder not to stare every time he does that. "It's ok, we were just afraid you'd ran out into the maze or something." 

"No, I was uh, just sleeping by a tree."

"You're weird Sky." He says, and then looks concerned, as if I might run off again.

I snicker, "not as weird as you."

"Hey!" He yells, faking offense.

Laughing I take off running, but he catches me easily, wrapping his arms around me to keep me from running. I pretend to fight it, but really I'm not all that eager for him to let go. I didn't realize how badly I needed a hug. I quit fighting, letting my body go Slack.

"Sky, what are you doing?" He asks, raising his eyebrows.

"Reverse Psychology?" I offer.

"I don't even know what that means."

"Do the opposite of what you'd think I'd do." I explain, "quit fighting and maybe you'd let me go?"

He does let me go, shaking his head as he does. I find myself smiling, but it's not because he let me go. "See worked didn't it."

He rolls his eyes, but smirks, "so you're sure you're ok now?"

"Yeah, I just needed to chill out. Adjusting to life here has been harder than I thought." I shrug, "sorry about that."

"Hmmm." Minho says, shaking his head. "You know, sometimes, I forget that you've only been here for a few weeks. You take everything so well."

"Thanks I guess." I say, surprised at the compliment. "It feels like so much longer than that."

"You'll get used to it." He says, when I start to argue, he holds up his hand. "you will, I promise."

"We'll see I guess." I reply, hoping it could be true.

He nods and looks at his watch. "We should get back."

I groan, not wanting to face my other friends.
Eventually however I comply, and we start heading back to the homestead.

"So we're good now?" I ask as we jog, half turning my head to see his reaction. "Am I forgiven?"

He pretends to think about it, "I guess."

"Good." I say, breathing out a sigh of relief.

"Just don't get so offended next time."

"What?! Minho I told you! It had nothing  to do with–" I'm so busy arguing I don't notice the hole in the ground, but instead I run right into it, tripping and landing face first in the dirt.

"Ok there greenie?" Minho asks, not bothering to hide his laughter. "Maybe you should watch where you're going."

"Shut up Minho."