XXVIII. Trapped

"What? No. Nuh-uh." Minho says when I jog up to the doors the next morning. Sick and tired of sitting around the glade, I've decided to start running again today.

"Yes-uh." I reply beginning to stretch out my legs.

"No! Sky your still hurt, you can't run." He argues, pointing to my shoulder, which is still tapped up.

"I don't run with my shoulder slinthead." I retort rolling my eyes at him. "I'll be fine."

"Sky you can't! What if something happens?!" He snaps throwing his hands up in frustration.

"I can too!" I yell louder than intended, I know he is just trying to protect me and I shouldn't get so angry. I think about how I would feel if it was the other way around, if I had almost lost him. I shudder, then sigh, getting control of my voice before speaking again. "But how about this, I'll run with you or Kate for the next few days until I'm healed. Better?"

"Better." He nods just as the doors start to open. Finally Kate shows up, sprinting to get there before the doors open.

"It's about time." I say taping my watch with my finger, Kate has a habit of being late. She's about to answer me when Minho interrupts.

"Stay close and Keep up." He says as we start jogging into the maze. I panic for a moment when I realize what section we're in. Three. The section I spent the night in. Images of burning grievers haunt my memory and for a second I can almost smell the terrible scent of burning oil and griever flesh. I try my best to shake the flashbacks out of my head as we pass the corridor that almost killed me. I think back to the memory, the things I remember that no one knows, the secret that slowly drives me insane. I can't think about that now,  so instead I re-focus my attention on Minho, who runs silently beside me, glancing over every few seconds to make sure I'm keeping up.

Nearly three hours later and Minho still hasn't stopped turning to look at me every few seconds, which I find most irritating. It's annoying how he doesn't even need to watch where he's going, or even slow down to chop the ivy off the walls. I huff in frustration when I almost trip over a rock in the middle of the path.

"What?" He asks glancing  over at me with a confused smile.

"It's not fair!" I pout as we make a sharp left turn down another corridor.

"What's not?"

"You." I yell, angry at him for being so good at this.

"What? Sky what the klunk are you talking about?" Minho asks, slicing a vine as he says it.

"How easy you make this look!"

"Really? That's what your mad about? It's only easy for me because I've been doing it for almost two years now. You've barely been here two months, give yourself a break." He says shaking his head and laughing. "Speaking of breaks.. Lunch time."

We stop and slide down against the walls sitting across from each other. I watch him as I eat, deciding whether or not to tell him about the memory. It's dangerous, but I have to tell someone or else I'll go crazy.

"I remembered something." I blurt out not sure how else to say it. "Something from before."  He snaps his head up, looking at me in shock.

"Like from before the maze? What was it? Why didn't you tell me?" He asks bombarding me with a whole slew of questions.

"Look I'm sorry, I wanted to tell you, I did, but I just didn't know how....I'm telling you now, so don't be mad... Please." I say slightly regretting my decision to tell him.

"Ok...just what was it?!"  He shouts waving off my apology.

"It happened while I was trapped in the maze." I sigh, starting my story, trying to recall all the details.

"..................and then the  lady freaked out and ran off." I finish, after explaining both of my blurry memories.  I'm still confused by the second one, having no idea what it could mean.

"That's weird...." Is all Minho says when I finish.

"Can you remember anything else?" He asks as we resume running.

"No, I have tried though, but nothing else comes." I say shrugging as I dodge another large rock in my path. The stone walls have crumbled some, leaving large and small rocks strewn about the maze.

"Let me know if you do." He says between breaths, as we zig zag back towards the glade.

"Of course."

The rest of the trip passes in silence, both of us trying to come up with an explanation for my dreams. Eventually I give up, and turn my thoughts to other things, all of which are equally depressing. Like how we didn't find anything in the maze today...again..big surprise. Or how different Minho's been acting lately, he still jokes around, but he's just not himself and I'm starting to get worried. I push the bad thoughts away as we reach the glade, running breathlessly over to the map room.

"Find anything?" Ben, one of the few runners already back, asks when we enter.

"What do you think shuck-face, no of course not!" Minho yells exploding at Ben for no reason. Ben looks at me, raising his eyebrows in question, like I might know what's wrong. I just shrug and shake my head, just as clueless as him as to why Minho is acting the way he is.

"Hey calm down he was just asking." I tell Minho pulling him over to the map table. He nods absently and starts silently drawing our map, with me leaning on the table beside him, watching every line. I'm still learning the different sections of the maze and this one is new to me, so I pay extra close attention, trying to see how well I remember the path we took.

"We're never getting out of here, there's no way out." Minho mumbles when he finishes, throwing the paper into the trunk and storming out of the room. I debate on whether or not to follow him, and decide to leave him alone for now, hoping he'll cool off and everything will be alright. I'm scared he'll do something stupid, but I'm even more scared he's right. What if we are trapped in here forever? No, we're not, they wouldn't put us in here with no way out. Would they? No, I refuse to believe that. I leave the map room, in search of somewhere to clear my head.