XXVII. Tell Me

"there you are." Newt says meeting us halfway between the homestead and where we've just emerged from the deadheads. "Well come on we're going to be late."

"Late for what?" I ask cocking my head to the side, wondering what the heck I missed.

"For the Gathering." Newt says hurrying us along towards the homestead.

"Not another gathering." I whine stopping dead in my tracks, causing Minho to run into me. I stumble forward before regaining my balance.

"Yes another Gathering." Newt says mimicking my exaggerated tone.

"Why do I have to go? What did I do this time?"

"You'll see when we get there now come on!" Newt orders practically dragging me through the doors. Reluctantly I follow him into the gathering, trailed by Minho, who, unlike me, seems to know exactly what's going on. As we enter the room I notice that I am not the only one out of place, five or six other non-keepers sit randomly around the room. I take a seat between Minho and Newt, bewildered as to what's going on.

"What is this all about?" I whisper to Minho, trying to make sense of it.

"Shh you'll see in a minute." He answers putting a finger to his lips, in an attempt to shush me.

"I want to know now!" I huff, crossing my arms in frustration. I wonder what's with all the secrecy, why can't someone just tell me what the heck is going on? I'm about to ask someone else when Newt interrupts me.

"This meeting is being held to discuss the possibility of adding members who are not keepers to the council, on behalf of Alby, I declare this meeting begun." He says rolling his eyes at the formality. So that's why I'm here.

Two hours later me, Mal, a boy named Phil, and three other boys whose names I don't know have been added to the council as 'honorary members'. Great so now I have to sit through every one of these stupid things.

"So why did you guys decide to do that?" I ask Newt as we head down to dinner. Minho had wandered off when someone called his name, and Mal had ran back to our room to grab a jacket, leaving us to walk alone. "And why me?"

"We decided we could use some outside opinions." He explains, shrugging his shoulders. "And you because for one you are the only person ever to survive a night in the maze, and two, well you have a level head."

"You sure you and Minho didn't just want your girlfriends around more?" I say winking at him, as we sit down at our regular table.

"What? Mal is not my girlfriend!" Newt says loudly, his cheeks going red with embarrassment.

"Ok sureee..." I tease, laughing at how flustered he is.

"Whatcha talkin bout?" Mal asks as if on cue, taking the seat next to me.

"Nothing." Newt sighs, looking down at his lap trying to hide his embarrassment. Mal gives me a quizzical look, and I smirk in response.
Suddenly one of the other runners, Ben, comes bursting through the door, laughing his head off. The whole room turns to look at him as he runs to our table clutching something tightly to his chest.

"Give that to me!!" A voice screams running through the door behind him. It's Minho, and he looks very, very angry. I'm wandering what is going on when Ben hands something to Newt revealing what he was holding. It's Minho's notebook. For a few seconds I'm completely confused before Newt and I burst into laughter.

"Oh...my......so....funny." Ben gasps through fits laughter. Kate rips the notebook out of Newt's hands before bursting into laughter herself, in the middle of the page sits my name, written in bold capital letters, surrounded by a heart with an arrow through the side.

"Minho...." Newt says laughing too hard to finish his sentence.

"It's not mine!!!" Minho yells grabbing the notebook and yanking it away from Clint who now has it. "I didn't do that!" He insists, his face bright red. Seeing him flustered is more than satisfying.

"Sure you didn't." Clint snickers rolling his eyes.

"I....forgot.....about.....that." I say, breathlessly trying to regain my composure.

"So it was you!" Minho shouts his eyes going wide in disbelief. I can only nod, tears of laughter streaming down my face. "How? When?" He stammers.

"The day I took notes for you, my first day of training, you found the other page, but not that one." I explain before laughing again. I see a look of realization come over his face as he sits down across from me, an annoyed look on his face as he pieces together the puzzle.

"See I told you it wasn't me." He growls. "Wait, but that was before...." His voice trails off as his expression changes from anger to confusion.

"I know, I was just joking around, I figured you would find it long before now." I say shrugging in apology.

"You're lucky I like you." He says giving me an annoyed smile. I smile back, glad to be forgiven.

"Awwww, how cute." Newt snickers, smirking as he takes a bite of his sandwich.

"Hey at least I'm man enough to tell a girl I like her." Minho retorts grinning in triumph as his words hit their mark. I watch as Newt's jaw drops, a shocked look clouding his expression, before dissolving into anger and determination.

"Fine." Newt says his jaw clenched. "Mallory, I like you, would you be my girlfriend?" He asks defiantly. Now it is our turn to stare in shock, as Mal surprises us even further.

"I would love to." She says and leans across the table planting a kiss on his cheek. At first everyone stares in complete shock, before slowly the clapping starts, then the cheering, until the whole room erupts into a chorus of chants and laughter. Everyone knows they deserve each other. By now both Mal and Newt are red with embarrassment. I catch Mal's eye and wink at her, smiling my congratulations.

After our eventful dinner we head towards the homestead, walking slowly as the sunlight fades from the sky. We all head back to our rooms, Minho and I hand in hand, Newt and Mal so close they bump into each other as they walk, and Kate and Clint walking an awkward distance apart as they talk. It's beautiful, and I can't remember a time when I've been happier.

We all file back to our rooms, but Minho lingers outside mine, reluctant to leave. "Are you sure you're alright?" He asks, touching one of the bandages still wrapped around my wrist.

"Yes Minho, I'm fine." I reply, annoyedly assuring him for the hundredth time.

"I know, sorry it's just... I almost lost you and.."

"I know." I sigh, rolling my eyes at him, I remembered quite clearly what had happened. I plant a quick kiss ok his lips, "don't worry, I'm not going to disappear." At that he grabs my arm and pulls me to him, our lips connecting in a light kiss, but he pulls away before I have time to react.

"See ya tomorrow babe." He says with a wink, jogging off towards his room. I stand in the doorway, watching him go, and then staring into the empty hallway After he disappears. I dread turning around to face Kate and Mal, knowing they heard the whole thing.

"Your turn now." I tell Kate when I finally do turn around. Mal laughs, still glowing with happiness. Kate just rolls her eyes and pulls her blanket over her head, closing off the conversation. I chuckle and climb into my own bed. That night I fall asleep with nothing but happy thoughts drifting through my mind.