Nine

The canopy looms above stopping the moon from casting its comforting light upon me. The fallen branches and leaves embedded themselves on my paws.

Even with fear and adrenaline pumping through my veins my wolf somehow manages to push herself to the surface.

Panic surges through my veins as my body pushes itself to its limit.

My heart hammers away at my chest as all four paws pounds at the ground. I knew going out tonight would be a huge mistake. A mistake that will cost me dearly in the end. My wolf curses at me through our mind link.

What were you thinking?

She yells at me as she searches for the best way out of this.

You could have stopped us. I snap at her but at the moment she is the reason why I am alive and I should be grateful.

She connected the dots faster than I did. The sudden hot flashes, unable to shift, and this urge to find Marcus.

The signs were all there! She hisses, Now every wolf in a ten-mile radius of us knows that you're in heat.

I was safer back at the pack house. How stupid can I be!

No one crosses the pack line without getting into a fight with my father's fighters.

He is a caring man but the second you go after his pack he turns ruthless.

The crunching of leaves and the heavy breathing close behind sends a shudder down my back.

The trees and bushes blur pass us as the rushing creek close by agitates my wolf. If we are forced to cross the creek we run the risk of frostbite and making our location even more obvious.

Maybe they are my father's beta and omega. I try to stay optimistic.

They would have mind linked you by now, run!

My wolf and I butt heads constantly but at the moment I know that she is right so I push myself to run faster. She does the same but we are too far away to make it to the pack house.

Melany, we need help. This is her desperate cry for help. We are outnumbered.

I should have been smarter. I should have gone to see Dr. Graham.

Then why were you being stupid not letting him mark and mate you?

The mark of a mate is precious to every wolf. It is the mark of your mate which is equivalent to an engagement ring. Your mate sinks his teeth into your shoulder or neck embedding their mark and scent into your skin. This mark and scent are only detectable to werewolves.

The last part is the mating process. The mating process is pretty much what humans do on their honeymoon. We connect as one and with that, we are sealed for life. Our bodies become part of each other emotionally not physically, that would be weird. Our link becomes stronger and his pain becomes my pain and my pain becomes his.

They're getting closer.

How much further to the pack house?

Two miles at the most.

I'm going to call him.

Your father is going to kill us.

Dad!

He is about to walk inside of the pack house when his anger consumes me.

Melany! Where the hell are you?

I snuck out and now I need your help.

Just like mates, parents can absorb their offspring's feelings when they are close enough. I can be further out and my father can still connect with me since he is the alpha.