Six

The scared stares make my body feel ten times heavier

The scared stares make my body feel ten times heavier. They know that this is bad, even I know this. Cedric fuzzy body moves closer.

At the moment I am the red flag being waved in front of a raging bull. Horns sharpen and ready to be dug into the person waving the flag.

What was I thinking? He challenged my father, I knew he was a strong man. You do not get the name Cedric the Destroyer going easy on people.

"God damn it, Melany," Andrew yells, "get up!" He cannot hide the panic in his voice.

"I--," my words are cut short as the air hisses with the velocity of Cedric's foot slamming against my ribs.

The air gushes out of my lungs as my eyes feel as if they are about to bulge out of my skull. My father shocked expression only tells me my worst fears are a reality, I cannot take him.

My father, Julian Blake, is clawing at the edge of the arena trying to figure out a way to stop this madness.

Cedric is brutal. I may have not done anything to him but he is demonstrating to my father his physical power over me.

Cedric's heavy footsteps pound away at the platform, "Julian," Cedric bellows and my father growls. "Are you sure that this pup is yours?"

"Back off," my father hisses. Even as an alpha he cannot stop a fight that is accepted by both parties.

"Or maybe you're losing your touch," Cedric shrugs half-heartedly, "you are getting old."

The pressure my hands put on my ribs does little to relieve the pain. I bite down the whimper of pain that is about to escape me, I don't want to give him the satisfaction of hearing it.

Melany, you have to stay awake. He can kill you if you don't. My wolf pleads with me. She wants to surface but I deny it.

But all I want to do is fall into the darkness. Pain cannot be felt if your mind chooses to lose itself in the darkness.

"What do you think I should do?" Cedric's voice is menacingly cold, "end it now or prolong the pain?"

Mel!

What? I know my wolf is getting frustrated with me. We have trained. Trained hard. Rain or shine my father showed me everything he knows and I cannot even beat his old opponent.

You can do this! Believe in yourself and you can do anything, Mel.

I can do anything.

Cedric's big feet stop before my head. "C'mon runt," he spits to the side. His leg swings back and a howl of anger roars through the crowd distracting Cedric.

Rolling out of the way my arms push me into a push-up position, "Fuck off," I grunt at him as my leg sweeps from under him sending him tumbling to the ground. His heavy body falls faster than I predict as I try crawling away but his body lands on my legs.