Twenty Four

This sickness does not seem normal. This slumber seems to be relentless, tormented, and most of all mind-numbing.

Darkness surrounds my mind me as I fight with my wolf and my mind.

Am I asleep or dead?

There is a faint noise far away as I feel my body completely relax.

I have to be asleep. Death cannot be, this, peaceful.

Melany, you need to wake up. My wolf pleas with me wanting me to open my eyes but that is not happening.

I don't want to.

Melany! It's time.

The light penetrates through my eyelids and I tighten my eyelids trying to stay asleep.

Pain starts to surface as I fight to stay unconscious.

Let me sleep. Everything hurts.

"Melany," the voice that is by my ear sounds exhausted.

The speck of light grows bigger as it full on crashes into me.

The white ceiling invades my blurred vision as my eyes adjust to the light. I am in my bedroom. The blankets have me swallowed up whole. Movement next to me makes me glance at my side.

Hunter is there his arms wrap around me. He looks over me cautiously seeing if I am okay and I see in his eyes the worry he must feel.

"How are you feeling?" His voice is so raspy that he sounds much older.

I take a second to think it over, am I okay? "I'm okay, what happens?"

He takes a deep breath and closes his eyes as if to calm himself, "You got very sick."

"Was I in pain?" He arches an eyebrow and I look down at his arms around me.

"Oh sorry, no, your body temperature was below normal and the pack doctor wanted us to keep it under control." He stammers at a bit.

"So body heat then?" He smiles but the worry lines on his forehead deepen.

I laugh but it is cut short when my stomach rumbles. We decided that we would get dressed and then head down for breakfast.

Having Hunter by my side at night does not bother me as I think it should but it seems that I do not have any nightmares with him around. Which oddly his presence brings comfort to me.

I put on some black jeans, white hoodie, with my black boots. Hunter meets me in the hallway and he is wearing a white v-neck long sleeve shirt with a gray cardigan, dark blue jeans, with black and white converses.

"Something is different," I say as I look him over.

"You noticed," he grins at me and we start walking down the hall.

I look him over and then notice what it is, "You wear glasses?" He has some dark-rimmed glasses on.

"Yes, I do. I don't like to wear them but my vision has been blurry lately." He looks handsome with them on. They add more character to his appearance.

"Oh."

We walk into the dining area and Hunter insists that I eat a big breakfast so he serves me a plate full of everything the cook dished out pancakes, bacon, sausage, eggs, and a strawberry Danish.

The same people from last time are at the table everyone except Andrew. I poke at everything on my plate. Hunter only has a Danish with coffee. His eyes stay on his food as if they held all the secrets of the universe.