Five

Forks scraping against the glass plates and spoons stirring coffee is all the noise that is heard at the dining table. My father sits at the head of the table with his beta on his right side and his omega next to him.

This is how it is always been. The alpha takes the head of the table. He looks out to his pack.

I am sitting on his left side with Andrew next to me. Glancing down the table I see Marcus sitting in between two older men.

"Melany," my father's voice drags my attention him, "we're training after breakfast."

Without saying a word I nod and look down at my breakfast. The scrambled eggs on my plate are more mush that scrambles as my fork continues to stab around not pick any up.

Early this morning I woke up to see Marcus running through the lawn into the trees. He did not wake me to tell me that he was leaving and it hurt more than I am willing to admit.

His heated gaze burns at the side of my face when I am not looking but at the moment I do not want to look at him.

Once my father finishes his meal he excuses himself and asks Andrew and me to join him out back, Marcus stays at the table.

Andrew stays by my side as we follow my father.

Are you okay? Andrew gives me a quick sideways glance. I give him a small smile and shake my head.

"Andrew," Andrew straightens up, "how long have we known each other?" Andrew looks around a bit and his nervous eyes land on me, What?

Just answer him.

Why is he asking that? Is he kicking me out?

No! He knows I wouldn't let him. I assure Andrew as he nods his head.

Answer the question. The alpha's voice booms through our mind link making Andrew flinch back.

"All my life," Andrew gulps, "why do you ask?"

"So you know that there is not much that happens in my territory that I don't know about, correct?"

Andrew's eyes widen, "I believe so," his heart rate increases and my wolf senses it.

Calm down, I beg, "So with that being said," my father takes a few steps away from us and then turns to face him, "do you want to say something about this morning?"

Crap, "I don't think it's my place to talk about it."

"Father, what are you talking about?" I ask looking at both of them. One of them is going to give and by the looks of it, it's going to be Andrew.

"Andrew," my father starts, "you know that I see you as the son that I never had but right now I am talking to you as an alpha."

"I'm sorry Mel," Andrew sighs, "I saw Marcus climb down your window when I was mind linking your father."

"It's fine," the anger that rises is not for him, "you're making my best friend check up on me. That's low, even for you," I snap.

"Actually," Andrew steps in, "I was finishing my rounds when he wanted to know what I found and that is when it all happened. We didn't purposely go looking for your mate," Andrew's eyes are locked on mine as he shows me how sincere he is.

I believe him, my wolf says as she calms her anger.

"I believe you," my eyes go to my father, "now what? I disobeyed the alpha, what's my punishment?"

"Do you really think that I am..." I cut him off. He's my alpha he needs to treat me like a pack member.

"Stop babying me and treat me like the rest of the pack, I broke your rule so there should be consequences to my actions," I am shouting at him as the back door swings open and his beta and omega walk out.