Fifty Nine

Night falls and I am counting down the minutes until everyone decides that it is time to head to bed.

The fire is dying down and everyone seems to have fallen into a comfortable silence.

There was a lot of us to start but at the moment it is Andrew, Angie, Ken, Blondie, Hunter and I. The stars are bright and the moon is full lighting up our surrounding.

"Mel, can I talk to you?" Andrew seems hesitant and I narrow my eyes at him.

"Sure," he pulls me away from the group to a secluded area, wanting to be alone.

"I saw that you marked Hunter and I wanted to know how you did it." He wants to know what happens beforehand.

"What do you mean? You want to mark Angie." I smile at him happy for my best friend.

"Yes. I want to and I know that she has been throwing hints my way but I don't want..." he stops and looks at me with pain in his eyes.

You know where he is going with this right.

"You don't want the same thing to happen to you that happen to me." He nods, "don't worry this was Hunter and my powers I think that you'll be fine marking her and easier since she is your mate."

"Okay, we'll see." The relief in his face makes me laugh.

Andrew walks back and I am about to head back as well but Ken steps in.

"Alpha," he nods his head.

"Beta," I retort.

"I wanted to know if I can also talk to you." His eyes go to the group and they seem to close for comfort.

"Sure I guess." He walks a bit further away from the group asking me with his eyes to follow him. I do.

We head into the trees until Ken feels like there is enough distance between the group and us.

"We're friends right?" His question makes me stop.

What kind of question is that?

"Umm, I guess." I am not really sure if we are friends. He is Hunter’s beta but other than that we hardly spend time together or talk for that matter.

"I need to talk to someone and I can't talk to Andrew because he is all head over heels with Angie. My alpha is...just no. All I have left it you. You seem more grounded."

"What do you want?"

"I don't want to be with Kimberly."

"Kimberly? Oh, Blondie," I shrug.

That's her name.

"And..." I extend the n to emphasize what he wants.

"I want to break up with her."

"I didn't know that you two were dating. Just do it. Why string her along you know that there is nothing there? She should know that plus you two are not mates...are you?" Hunter would have said something by now.

"No, we're not but she wants to be mated with someone that has a shot of becoming an alpha."

She's going after power.

"That's stupid. Just because you're a beta doesn't mean that you will become an alpha. No offense."

"None taken."

"A lot can happen you can lose your beta position for a number of reasons."

Ken nods, he knows I am right.

"I know but she seems to be set on it and I just wanted to know that you wouldn't see as an âsshole for dumping her here of all places."

"No, I wouldn't. I would think of you as an âsshole if you did this longer than it needs to be."

"Thank you alpha."

"Beta," he chuckles and walks off I follow him and I see Hunter is talking to Andrew. I walk up to them and he does not break their conversation but wraps his arm around my shoulder pulling me closer to him. I can see it in his eyes he is exhausted.

"Maybe we should head to bed." I say to Hunter and he nods stifling a yawn.

"Let's go!"

I say goodbye to everyone as Hunter yells his farewell to everyone's general direction. There is a mumbles of goodbyes. Hunter and I walk back to the castle he pulls me closer to him as a cold breeze passes through us.

"It's been a long day." He nods and his eyes grow heavy.

"I'm exhausted." We make our way to our bedroom. I let Hunter use the restroom first. As usual he comes out with his pajama bottoms. I wait for him at the edge of the bed as he makes his way to me, "Are you going to get ready for bed?"

I nod and he nods along with me.

Hunter kisses my forehead, "I'll see you in bed soon."

Getting off he climbs into bed I walk towards the bathroom. I can hear him stretch out and groan sleepily. Closing the door quietly I stand by the door for a few minutes there is nothing but silence on the other side. Switching the light switch off I open the door and I can hear Hunter's soft snoring. Walking through the room is easy especially with Hunter out like a light.

That was the easy part get ready for the nocturnal Butler.

I know he seems to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.

I creep to the door and open it, "What the..." A masked man stands before the door. A damp cloth covers my mouth and the smell infuse within it is sweet and making me groggy.

Shit!

I mumble against the cloth as my eyes grow heavy.

Melany, shift!

I can't.

My body grows heavy and the man catches me before I hit the ground. I try to struggle in his arms but my eyes are growing heavy as well as my body.

Fight him off. That asshole drugged you!

You don't say! My respond is full of sarcasm but fear grips the pit of my stomach.

The darkness swallows me as my body suddenly feels light as a feather. My body sways and I know that the man is moving to god knows where.

"Hand me the cloth."

"No, she'll wake on her own."

"I said that I want to talk to her...now!" The man's voice is harsh.

"Yes master."

I can hear someone scuffling away as there is another person close to me. I can hear their breathing and wheezing.

When you open your eyes don't hesitate and shift, understand!

The numbing sensation envelopes my entire body and I feel as if I am not in my own body.

What did he do to me?

This drug isn't going to allow you to shift!

A shiver runs through my body.

"It's almost time," the voice is clearer now than before and I know that I am about to wake up.

"I knew that the chloroform wouldn't last too long. An alpha's spirit won't let her stay down."

Chloroform?

My lungs suddenly feel as if they are burning and I am not breathing. My eyes snap open as I stare into a burning bright light bulb gasping for air. I close my eyes but the light lingers even behind my eyelids.

"There she is." The voice sounds familiar but I cannot put a face to it. The light is burning my irises as I turn to face the man before me. I feel as if all the air in me is sucked out.

"You!"

What the hell? Of all people him!