Fifty Five

The next two days are quiet. Derek is nowhere to be seen this for some reason makes me uneasy and Hunter is unnaturally joyous today which also makes me nervous.

Hunter is as chatty as ever at breakfast which is unlike him and at the moment he is drawing a lot of attention to us with his very loud and carefree laugh.

The dining area is pack with people and everyone seems unconcern with the fact the Derek vanished after our quarrel. He can be planning his revenge which would be stupid since I did not plan to fight him in the first place.

Stop worrying and enjoy your time with Hunter he seems very happy and that is something you don’t see here in this place.

True.

Hunter invites me for a stroll after breakfast.

“Do you have a particular place you want to go?” I ask as he takes my hand and his thumb runs over my knuckles, a comforting gesture?

We walk through the dining hall and all the women’s eyes are on Hunter at the moment I see that he is paying attention to them. I look over at them and some of them are unmarked.

“No. I just want to spend some alone time with you. Plus," he shrugs, "I want to talk to you about something.” His eyes are like amber and I try to see if they give anything away.

“And we need to be alone for this?” He nods and I swallow down and look at him better but he has an impassive mask on once again.

Oh shit!

Don’t say it.

You’re thinking it.

Stop it!

He found someone else and he doesn’t want to break your heart in front everyone.

He found someone new?

We walk out the front door and towards the trees.

I-I…I don’t know.

This is new, even for her. I am usually the clueless one.

Hunter holds on to my hand as we walk into the surrounding trees and I can see his body tense up as we walk further away from the castle. He suddenly stops releasing my hand he turns around and starts fidgeting his fingers tapping away at his pockets as he tries to think about what he wants to say.

“Mel…I-” He runs his fingers through his hair and starts biting his lip as if he is trying to hold back what he wants to say.

This must be bad.

“H-Hunter?” My voice falters and I fight back the burning sensation telling me that I am close to tears. I cannot lose it just yet I need to be strong.

Damn it first Marcus and now this! My wolf is pacing close to the surface but I shoot her down if anything happens I do not want to hurt him.

"Melany this has been on my mind since we arrived and I feel like I need to tell you now before..."

I cannot help it.

My emotions reach their limit. My cap is blown off and I feel it all rush through me.

"Before what? Before I-I see you with someone else? Before I make a fool of myself in front of all these people? Before what, Marcus?" I snap.

I pace in front of him and Hunter's eyes are wide and hurt is the only emotion to describe what I see in them.

"Marcus?" He breathes and then shakes his head. "Is that what I am to you? A distraction from Marcus?"

My wolf controls my emotions. "No."

You're letting all the emotions you've bottled up from Marcus on Hunter and he deserves better.

"I'm sorry I'm just not use to this..." I gesture to all of him. He is nothing like the person I am accustom to. He is so much better that it cannot be real he cannot be made for me.

"Use to what Melany? Being treated the way you're supposed to be treated?" I nod. "Well think about this Melany we all fück up at times and you're not the only one with emotions. I keep mine under control but if you only knew."

Wow. He is hurting with everything that I do as well.

"Hunter, I'm sorry I just see how those girls look at you and usually you don't pay attention to them but today,” I sigh and drop my head, “you did. Then Marcus popped into my head and even though he was my mate it reminded me of how easily he replaced me. He replaced me with some other girl and you're not my mate, so you can easily replace me as well."

His sharp intake of air makes me lower my head in shame. I turn away from him and I let the guilt settle in.

I'm such a moron!

Correction, we are morons!

Wish that made me feel better.

"Melany, I brought you here so that I can ask you something and we still haven't discussed it."

I stand still and look deeper into the forest not wanting to look at him.

"What do you want to talk about?" I cross my arms across my chest suddenly feeling a bit cold.

"I may not be your mate..." I can feel him coming closer and his warm hand goes to my shoulder, “but knows this there is no one and I mean no one that can replace you. You seem to have forgotten that your mate wanted you back and that didn't end well for him. I know what you mean about Marcus popping into your head Haley does it to me all the time." He wraps his arms around me and rests his cheek on my shoulder, "I came here with you to ask you something. Something you only ask the person that you are willing to spend the rest of your life with..."

I gasp, "You want to marry me?"

Oh no! I'm not ready for that.

"No, not right now but in the future I see that happening. I want the werewolf equivalent of an engagement ring." It sinks in. "I want you to mark me."

Holy crap!

"Isn't the male supposed to mark the female first it's like tradition?"

"Melany, I may not have known you for long but there is nothing traditional about us. Two alphas getting together has never happen before. I want to feel closer to you and maybe eventually be able to mind link you. Our connection will go deeper than the one we had with our own mates. Your body language says it all you’re not ready and that’s fine but I am willing to wait for you to be ready. I, on the other, want to let everyone know that I am off the market," he kisses my neck and I can feel his smile, "by the most amazing girl to walk this planet."

"You want me to mark you then." He nods and I sink further into his body he is steady enough to keep the both of us upright.

"If you want to that is. You will always have another option with me."

This is your decision.

"Hunter," I pull away from him..."I-..."

*~*~*

Happy New Year everyone :) It is currently 11:25 pm December 31, 2016.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Happy Reading my MoonGazers