Thirty One

Ever feel as if your heart is about to be ripped out of your chest?

As if it may stop because of all the pain or panic that courses through you.

I shift right at the steps of the pack house. My heart beating hard against my chest running inside the house naked not caring if anyone is around.

My mind is in a frenzy as my body urges me to get to him as quickly as possible.

My lungs beg for more air but at the moment I do not have time to even breathe correctly. I run up the stairs taking them two at a time and head straight into the pack's infirmary.

Walking inside I run into Drake and his mate she looks at me straight in the face and there is some hurt in her eyes.

It is my fault that he is like this. If anyone would hurt Andrew, even though he is not my mate, I would kill them in a heartbeat but the person that put him in the position to get hurt would feel my fury.

I stop in my tracks and look at Drake asleep on the bed a needle attached to his arm as a dripping liquid goes into his body.

"How is he?" My voice is stern with an undercurrent of concern. He is part of my pack and I worry about his well-being.

"He's fine for now, he had a couple of broken ribs and his leg was cracked clean through which actually made it heal faster. Now he just needs to rest and then he'll be back on his feet by the morning."

I nod, "I'll come by later to check up on him. If you need anything let me know." I walk towards the back, towards the private room made for the alpha.

Ken is sitting outside the door his head in his hands. My footsteps tell him someone is coming and looks up when Ken sees that it is me his cheek flush as he takes all of me in.

"Sorry alpha!" He clears his throat and looks away.

"How is he?" I do not have time to be shy, I am naked get over it.

"Your doctor wouldn't tell me-" His worried eyes hit me hard. He is not okay!

I've heard enough and walk inside the room. The beeping in the room seems eerie in the silent room. Hunter is laying on the bed his eyes close, he has these plastic tubes in his nose helping him breathe, and all these cables connected to him.

Dr. Graham! Where the hell are you?

I need answers.

The air seems to be thinning in the small room. There is a chair next to Hunter and I let my body drop onto it.

The gravity around me seemed to intensify as I fight to get enough air into me. I have never been great when someone gets hurt or needs to be in the infirmary. I feel sick and my body becomes weak at the sight before me.

"Yes, Alpha Blake?"

I cannot seem to muster a word so I point at Hunter gesturing to her, 'What happened?'

She is not fazed with me baring it all in front of her. She walks to the edge of Hunter's bed and grabs the chart that I did not see before.

"Well," she walks closer to the machines on the other side of him.

"What is it?" I cannot help but yell at her since she is prolonging the torture.

"Alpha Hunter seems to be having two types of battle going on within him. He seems to be fighting his wolf not allowing him to heal him at all."

The doctor uncovers Hunter's chest and I see that his chest is bandaged up and his cuts are still bleeding.

What is he doing?