Chapter Eleven

~COPYRIGHT 2016~

The next two weeks went by quickly and happily. Adelaide and Bam spent practically all their free time together. They were falling more and more for each other every day. Tonight was the night that Bam was planning on asking her to officially be his. He was at home getting ready, letting Rainy help him find an outfit. They were laughing and joking around. At least until Billy came into the room.

"Bam, can I speak with you?" he asked.

"What is it Da?" he asked.

He took a look at Rainy. She instantly understood that it was a private conversation and left the room.

"Do you remember how I was saying that the date was coming up?" Billy asked Bam.

"Yeah..."

"Well that day has come. We have to go to Juneau. Our date is in three days."

"WHAT?" he shouted. "THREE DAYS?"

He nodded and patted his son on the shoulder. "Unfortunately. I know you were planning on this night being a special night, but you need to say goodbye to the girl," he said.

"But Da – "

"If she truly likes you, she will wait for you, son. Do what you have to do. We are leaving in three days, no choice."

Billy left the room, leaving Bam to think it all over. He knew this day was coming, but he had pushed it to the back of his mind, hoping it wasn't real. He didn't know how Adelaide was going to take it and he knew that there was a chance he could lose her tonight. Just when he had realized he was in love with her.

He continued to get ready and when it was time, he trudged down to the bar with a heavy heart. Adelaide was getting off early so that she could go out on her date with Bam.

She ran over when she saw Bam walk through the door. She wrapped her arms around him and leaned up to greet him with a kiss.

"Hi there handsome," she smiled up at him.

"Hi there gorgeous," he replied, pecking her lips once more. "Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah, just let me grab my purse from out back and we can go."

He nodded and she went to go grab her purse. He stood there waiting for her, thousands of thoughts running through his head. How was he going to tell her? How was she going to take it?

"Alright, let's go!" she exclaimed, grabbing him around the elbow.

They exited the bar and headed down the street. They had planned to just get some lunch and then spend some time at her apartment watching movies and doing...other things.

The hostess at the small café seated them and took their drink orders. Adelaide smiled at Bam from across the table. Then her smile turned to a frown. Bam wasn't smiling. In fact, he didn't look happy at all.

"What's wrong Joshua?" she questioned.

He sighed and leaned forward, taking her hands in his.

"I have something I need to tell you," he admitted.

Her heart dropped. What could possibly be so bad that he was frowning like he was? Did he find someone else?

"What is it?" she finally asked after a moment of silence.

"Today was supposed to be a good day. I was going to ask if you'd like to become official," he told her. She smiled.

"Of course I want to be official!" she exclaimed.

He let out a small sad smile. "That would have been wonderful...if I didn't have to go back to Alaska."

Her breath hitched. She knew this day was coming, but she hadn't expected it so soon.

"When?" is all she asked.

"Three days."

"Are you kidding me? Why so suddenly?"

"There are some things I didn't tell you about and I have to go back for those reasons."

"Well...can't I just go back with you?"

"Not exactly."

"I can quit my job and come live with you and your family. I can fend for myself. I know it's going to be hard at first, but dammit Josh, I love you. I can't just let you go. You promised you wouldn't break my heart and leave me."

"You haven't officially met my family."

"So? I can meet them in the next three days."

He sighed and squeezed her hands, which were still placed in his. "There are some certain reasons you can't come back with me. One of them being that I am going to court and most likely going to get jail time."

She ripped her hands from his and stared at him in shock. What kind of trouble had he gotten himself into that he was going to do jail time?

"What do you mean you're going to jail?" she asked.

"My family and I messed up. We filed for a dividend in Alaska for three years and we weren't paying attention to how much we were travelling. We've been charged with falsification. My father and I are taking the repercussions for the family. I don't really know how long I'm going to be in jail," he told her.

She stood up, anger coursing through her. "Why didn't you tell me about this before?" she shouted.

Bam looked around the restaurant. All the patrons were staring, wondering what was going on.

"Hey, why don't you sit down so we can talk about this calmly?" he suggested.

"Calmly? CALMLY? NO!" she screamed. "YOU'RE LEAVING TO GO TO JAIL AND YOU DIDN'T TELL ME! HOW CAN I BE CALM ABOUT THIS?"

He sighed. "Please Adelaide."

She shook her head, tears coming to her eyes. "You know, I was really starting to think you were different," she practically whispered. "Goodbye Bam."

Bam stood there frozen. She hadn't called him by his full name like she usually did. That meant she was extremely pissed off and there was a high chance that he wouldn't see her again.

~COPYRIGHT 2016~