Thirty Six

~Frank's POV~

I absently filled in the answers for an exam I was sure to fail anyway. I had studied, but I just couldn't fully comprehend it.

I doodled on the corner of my paper, waiting for the class to end. I was already done with it. I almost had regret for coming to the extra schooling... So far, I don't think I had ever used a day of my education.

Gerard was the best thing to come out of it.

"Alright, that's time." The teacher standing in front of the room said, "All the papers up here."

"Mr. Trohman, please give me five more minutes!" A girl with blond hair begged, looking over her paper in distress.

"Jenna, if I give you five more minutes, I have to give it to everyone."

"Uh, I wouldn't object to that, sir." Another student, Brendon, chimed in with the raise of his hand.

"Me either!" Another girl with dark hair said while frantically waving her arm in the air and scribbling on her paper.

Mr. Trohman rolled his eyes. "Does everyone need five more minutes?" He asked, leaning against his desk. A chorus of 'yes' and 'please' filled the room, making our teacher laugh. "Alright! Five more minutes, get going!"

I sighed, looking over my results. I changed a few, but for the most part I left it alone. I felt like an idiot after looking at it all over again. I really hated this place...

My mind drifted back to Gerard. He had been on the phone with his family so much to tell them about the surgery. They were trying to raise money themselves, extremely happy for the news. I had no idea how much I had raised, if any from the web thing I had tried on Ray's advice. I hoped it would be somewhat of a good amount...

"Bonus time!" Mr. Trohman called out, "You got your five minutes, now pass up your tests."

There was a mixture of thanks and worry as the tests were taken up to the front of the classroom. I just remained silent as I placed my test neatly on the unorganized stack of papers. I went back to my desk to grab my bag and left the classroom without much of a hassle. I walked down the student flooded halls with a mixture of things on my mind.

Was it even worth it to continue school? I mean, music was something that didn't require this much of an education. You felt it. You drew inspiration from the world around you... Why the fuck did I need to know so much math for something you felt?

Even Gerard, who was here for art, didn't need the bonus education. Art is something you have a passion for. It's your own form of self expression, fuck what snooty rich people said. If an elephant can paint something worth thousands of dollars, then so can you.

Then there was the surgery. How could something even cost so much? I understood that it would benefit him for the rest of his life, but did it have to be a price so unobtainable? What average person can even hope for such an amount?..

"Holy fuck..." I stopped my walking to just breathe for a moment. I was going to drive myself insane if I kept this up.

I decided to go for a change of pace. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my phone. I swiped to Gerard's contact and sent him a quick message.

Campus Coffee?
My treat xo

I moved off to the side of the hall while I waited for a response. I couldn't remember if Gerard was sitting in on a class at the moment, but hopefully he'd be able to reply quickly.