Chapter Seventeen

The first thing I noticed when I stepped into my first ever A Level Creative Writing lesson was that Kalum Van Ryk was lounging in the teacher's chair with his feet resting on the desk. He ruffled his blonde hair with one hand before finally acknowledging my presence in the room.

"You're early."

"W-what are y-you doing here?" Oh my God. I just stuttered and sounded like a total idiot in front of one of the most popular guys in my entire school and also Brighton! Ugh. I can feel my face heating up again, and trust me, I do not look good blushing, I become a tomato girl.

He chuckled at my star-struck expression as he twirled a pen with his fingers, similar to the way I've seen Cody play with his drumsticks.

"Believe it or not, I am actually a student here." He paused while I giggled before continuing. "Mrs Wallace asked me to talk to you guys about what the creative writing course is like and my experiences with it. You didn't think I was just magically amazing at writing those lyrics, did you?"

I nodded at his question, causing another chuckle to burst out of his lips.

"Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work out that way. It takes a lot of time and effort to write lyrics, nevermind composing the music to match for each instrument."

He stood up as Mrs Wallace walked into the classroom with the rest of my classmates for this year following shortly behind her. I smiled at Harvey and held back a groan as Libby entered the room, flanked by both her cronies. Darcey and Jenny both glared at me but Libby continued playing her favourite game of ignoring my existence. I didn't recognise the other two new guys who came in but I guess we will get to know each other soon.

"Now that everyone is here, I think we should have a demonstration of what you guys will be able to by this time next year. Take it away Kalum."

He cleared his throat and began, reading out of a notebook I hadn't noticed sitting on the desk.

"Slowly, the soft glow of the streetlights faded, casting the courtyard into complete darkness. The moon was obscured partially by the clouds that had been threatening the earth with rain for several days now but had yet to carry out the deed, leaving the luminous stars above as the only source of light. A cool breeze swept through the courtyard, whispering it's secrets to the few leaves still left on the trees. As the dying breeze blew past me, I felt a strange sorrow as I corrected the stray hairs it had disrupted. Once the wind stopped, the rustling stopped and all was quiet once again. Nights like this, the eerily silent ones, remind me that nothing stays the same forever. The sun will rise, this peaceful night will come to an end. Like everything else. It's impossible to hold onto a moment forever."

We all gave a round applause when he finished and then laughed as he lapped it by pretending to be one stage and giving over-exaggerated bows. I think I will like this lesson a lot if he keeps helping out.

A/N the piece Kalum read is actually a sneak peak at something else I've been working on ❤ thanks for reading ❤