(E) Spells

Engorgio (Engorgement Charm)

Pronunciation: /ɛŋˈɡɔːrdʒioʊ/ eng-gor-jee-ohDescription: Causes objects to swell in size.Seen/mentioned: A "Growth Charm" with the same effect is briefly mentioned. Hagrid is suspected of having performed the charm on his pumpkins in Chamber of Secrets. Also seen in Goblet of Fire when Barty Crouch Jr, impersonating Moody, casts it on a spider to enhance a demonstration of the effects of the Cruciatus Curse.

(Entrail-Expelling Curse)

Description: Presumably causes theentrails (i.e. intestines) to be ejected from the body.Seen/mentioned: First mentioned inOrder of the Phoenix when Harry visits St Mungo's following Arthur Weasley's attack by Nagini while guarding the Department of Mysteries.

Episkey

Pronunciation: /ɛˈpɪskiː/ e-pis-keeDescription: Used to heal relatively minor injuries. When this spell is cast, the person feels his/her injured body part go very hot and then very cold.Seen/mentioned: Used in Goblet of Fire after the first task of theTriwizard Tournament. In Half-Blood Prince, Nymphadora Tonks uses this spell to fix Harry's broken nose; also used by Harry in the same book to fix Demelza Robins' mouth.Suggested etymology: Greek episkeumeaning "repair, restoration".[9]Notes: Rowling writes in Half-Blood Prince that Harry's knowledge tells him this spell could belong to a family (or variety) of Healing Spells.

Erecto

Pronunciation: /ɛˈrɛktoʊ/ e-rek-tohDescription: Used to erect something.Seen/mentioned: Possibly used inGoblet of Fire by wizards at the campsites near the Quidditch World Cup. Used by Hermione and Harry inDeathly Hallows.

Evanesco (Vanishing Spell)

Pronunciation: /ɛvəˈnɛskoʊ/ ev-ə-nes-kohDescription: Makes the target vanish.Seen/mentioned: Used in Order of the Phoenix by Snape to make Harry's potions disappear from his cauldron. In addition, when Fred and George were showing off their puking pastilles, Lee Jordan cleared the bucket of vomit with the Evanescospell.Notes: According to Minerva McGonagall, in Deathly Hallows, Vanished objects and organisms go "into non-being, which is to say, everything."

Expecto Patronum (Patronus Charm)

Pronunciation:/ɛksˈpɛktoʊ pəˈtroʊnəm/ eks-pek-toh pə-troh-nəmDescription: Conjures an incarnationof the caster's innermost positive feelings, such as joy or hope, known as a Patronus. A Patronus is conjured as a protector, and is a weapon rather than a predator of souls: Patronuses shield their conjurors from Dementors or Lethifolds, and can even drive them away. They are also used amongst the Order of the Phoenix to send messages.[10]According to Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, the Charm is the only known defensive spell against Lethifolds.Seen/mentioned: First seen inPrisoner of Azkaban when a Dementor appears in the Hogwarts Express, and Hermione says thatRemus Lupin repelled the Dementor by casting a silvery object from his wand. Harry's corporeal Patronus first appears in a Quidditch game, and other characters throughout the rest of the series use it.

Expelliarmus (Disarming Charm)

Pronunciation: /ɛksˌpɛliˈɑːrməs/eks-pel-ee-ar-məsDescription: This spell is used to disarm another wizard, typically by causing the victim's wand to fly out of reach.[11][12]Seen/mentioned: First seen inChamber of Secrets, when Snape disarms Gilderoy Lockhart in the Duelling Club; from then on it is commonly used throughout the rest of the series. Draco uses it to disarm Dumbledore and Harry used it during his first (Goblet of Fire) and last duel (Deathly Hallows) with Voldemort. As such, at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, Death Eaters consider it Harry Potter's trademark and correctly identify Harry by the sight of this spell.

Expulso

Pronunciation: /ɛkˈspʊlsoʊ/ ek-spuul-sohDescription: A spell that causes an object to explode. The force of the explosion may depend on the intent of the caster.Seen/mentioned: Used by a Death Eater in an attempt to capture Harry in The Deathly Hallows, it struck the table that Harry was standing behind, causing an explosion that slammed him into a wall with great force.