(R) Spells

Reducio

Pronunciation: /rɛˈdjuːsioʊ/ re-dew-see-ohDescription: Makes an enlarged object smaller. Counter-charm toEngorgio.Seen/mentioned: Used in Goblet of Fire by Barty Crouch Jr (as Moody) to shrink the spider he used to demonstrate the Cruciatus Curse. Harry attempts the spell in theDeathly Hallows when practising with Draco's blackthorn wand.

Reducto (Reductor Curse)

Pronunciation: /rɛˈdʌktoʊ/ re-duk-tohDescription: Enables the caster to explode solid objects.Seen/mentioned: In Goblet of Fire, Harry uses it on one of the hedges of the Triwizard maze and ends up burning a small hole in it; in Order of the Phoenix, Gryffindors in Harry's year reference Parvati Patil as being able to reduce a table full of dark detectors to ashes and Ginny Weasley uses it in the Room of Requirement during the practice and in the Hall of Prophecy, Department of Mysteries; in Half Blood Prince, a member of the Order of the Phoenix attempts to use this spell to break down a door which Death Eaters have blocked when the Death Eaters have cornered Dumbledore in the Lightning Struck Tower.

(Refilling Charm)

Description: Refills whatever at which the caster points with the drink originally in the container.Seen/mentioned: Used in Half-Blood Prince, when Harry notices that Hagrid and Slughorn are running out of mead.

Relashio

Pronunciation: /rɛˈlæʃioʊ/ re-lash-ee-ohDescription: A charm used to force someone or something to release that which it holds or grapples by means of shooting fiery sparks out or, underwater, shooting hot bursts of water.Seen/mentioned: Used by Harry against Grindylows in the second task of the Triwizard Tournament. When used more expertly by Bob Ogden inHalf-Blood Prince, it threw Marvolo Gaunt backwards after an attempted attack. Hermione uses it in Deathly Hallows to free Mrs Cattermole from the chained chair.

Rennervate

Pronunciation: /ˈrɛnərveɪt/ ren-ər-vaytDescription: Brings someone out of unconsciousness.Seen/mentioned: In Goblet of Fire, Amos Diggory uses it to wake upWinky and Dumbledore uses it to wake up Krum and Barty Crouch Jr. In"Half-Blood Prince", Harry later uses it to try to reawaken a cursed Dumbledore in the seaside cave.Suggested etymology: Officiallyrenamed from Ennervate by J. K. Rowling[17]Notes: Counter spell to Stupefy; when this spell is cast, red light is emitted.

Reparo

Pronunciation: /rɛˈpɑːroʊ/ re-par-ohDescription: Used to repair broken or damaged objects.[11]Seen/mentioned: Many times throughout the books. First used by Hermione, when she uses it to fix a broken window. Shattered objects are often described as having "flown" back together. However, substances contained within broken objects are not restored.Notes: Harry used this spell twice to repair his wand in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, once with a normal wand and a second time with the "Elder Wand" or "Wand of Destiny". Only the second attempt was successful.

(Repelling Charm)

Description: Pushes a moving object away from an invisible barrier.Seen/mentioned: Quidditch Through the Ages, Chapter 4. e.g. "the wizards in the crowd forced [the snidget] back with repelling spells".Notes: This is only mentioned repelling the snidget (a small but agile bird). However context suggests the spell is a generic repelling spell, but we do not know the extent or limitations. It was used to prevent the bird escaping the confines of the quidditch pitch.

Repello Muggletum (Muggle-Repelling Charm)

Pronunciation: /rɛˈpɛloʊ ˈmʊɡlətəm/re-pel-oh mug-lə-təmDescription: Keeps Muggles away from wizarding places by causing them to remember important meetings they missed and to cause the Muggles in question to forget what they were doing in the first place.Seen/mentioned: Mentioned inQuidditch Through the Ages as being used to keep Muggles away from the Quidditch World Cup. Hogwarts was also said to be guarded by the Muggle-Repelling Charm. Harry and Hermione also use it on numerous occasions, among many other spells, to protect and hide their campsite inDeathly Hallows.

Rictusempra (Tickling Charm)

Pronunciation: /ˌrɪktəˈsɛmprə/ rik-tə-sem-prəDescription: The subject experiences the sensation of being tickledSeen/mentioned: First seen used by Harry on Draco in Chamber of Secrets, when they fought in the Duelling Club.Notes: This spell takes the form of a jet of silver light (purple in video games).

Riddikulus

Pronunciation: /rᵻˈdɪkələs/ ri-dik-ə-ləs[18]Description: A spell used when fighting a Boggart, "Riddikulus" forces the Boggart to take the appearance of an object upon which the caster is concentrating. When used correctly, this will be a humorous form.Seen/mentioned: First seen inPrisoner of Azkaban, when taught by Lupin. Then seen in Goblet of Fire on a boggart that was in the maze in the Third Task. Finally seen in Order of the Phoenix, when Mrs Weasley tries to cast Riddikulus on a Boggart inGrimmauld Place.Notes: The effect depends on what the caster is thinking. Neville concentrates on his grandmother's dress, causing a Boggart in the form of Snape to appear in it.