(I) Spells

Impedimenta (Impediment Jinx, Impediment Curse)

Pronunciation: /ɪmˌpɛdᵻˈmɛntə/ im-ped-i-men-təDescription: This powerful spell is capable of tripping, freezing, binding, knocking back and generally impeding the target's progress towards the caster. The extent to which the spell's specific action can be controlled by the caster is not made clear. If this spell does bind, it does eventually wear off as stated inDeathly Hallows.Seen/mentioned: Used in Goblet of Fire when Harry is practising for the third task. Also used by Madam Hooch to briefly stop Harry from fighting with Draco. Also seen toward the end of Order of the Phoenix, when Harry is fighting the Death Eaters. Stronger uses of this spell seem capable of blowing targets away.

Imperio (Imperius Curse)

Pronunciation: /ɪmˈpɪərioʊ/ im-peer-ee-ohDescription: Causes the victim of the curse to obey the spoken/unspoken commands of the caster. The experience of being controlled by this curse is described as a complete, wonderful release from any sense of responsibility or worry over one's actions, at the price of one's free will. Resisting the effect of the curse is possible, however, and several individuals have been able to successfully overcome it, including Harry and both of the Crouches, who learn to resist the curse after being subjected to its effects for an extended period. Harry describes the feeling of being the caster as controlling a marionette through a wand (although Harry's particular experience is suspect due to his lack of commitment to casting Unforgivable Curses). One of the three Unforgivable Curses.Seen/mentioned: First mentioned (not by name) in the first book when Ron told Harry that during the first war Lucius Malfoy claimed that he had been jinxed, thus evading imprisonment. First seen in Goblet of Fire introduced by Barty Crouch Jr. (acting as Moody) and used on a spider. Later seen in the book when Barty Crouch Jr., acting as Professor Moody, used it on all the students to see if they would be able to overcome it. Barty Crouch Sr. had used it on Barty Crouch Jr., who then escaped it and used it on his father before killing him in the fourth book. Used by Harry in Deathly Hallows on a Gringotts goblin and Travers, and by the Death Eaters on Pius Thicknesse.

(Imperturbable Charm)

Description: Makes objects such as doors impenetrable (by everything, including sounds and objects).Seen/mentioned: The spell is used by Mrs Weasley in Order of the Phoenixon the door of the room in which an Order meeting was being held, to prevent her sons, Fred and George, from eavesdropping (using their extendable ears). Also mentioned inHalf-Blood Prince when Harry, Ron, and Hermione followed Draco to Borgin and Burkes and used extendable ears.

Impervius (Impervius Charm)

Pronunciation: /ɪmˈpɜːrviəs/ im-pur-vee-əsDescription: This spell makes something repel (literally, become impervious to) substances and outside forces, including water.Seen/mentioned: Used by Hermione in Prisoner of Azkaban on Harry's glasses while in a Quidditch match and also by the Gryffindor Quidditch team in Order of the Phoenix, both times to allow team members to see in a driving rain. Also used in Deathly Hallows, first by Ron to protect objects in Yaxley's office from rain, and then by Hermione in an attempt to protect Harry, Ron and Griphookfrom the burning treasure in the Lestranges' vault.

Incarcerous

Pronunciation: /ɪŋˈkɑːrsərəs/ ing-kar-sər-əsDescription: Ties someone or something up with ropes.Seen/mentioned: An unnamed spell, presumably incarcerous, is used by Lupin to tie up Snape in the Shrieking Shack in Prisoner of Azkaban and likewise in Goblet of Fire when Pettigrew ties Harry to Tom Riddle's grave. Incarcerous itself is first heard in Order of the Phoenix, when Umbridge gets in a battle with the centaurs. Also used by Harry on the Inferi in Voldemort's Horcruxchamber, in Half-Blood Prince, and later again when Harry tries to bound Snape after the death of Dumbledore.

Incendio

Pronunciation: /ɪnˈsɛndioʊ/ in-sen-dee-ohDescription: Produces fire.[11] Flames burst out flying.Seen/mentioned: It is first seen inHarry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone when Hagrid (nonverbally) produces fire out of his umbrella in the little house the Dursleys took refuge in (from the Hogwarts letters). In Half-Blood Prince, this spell is used several times in battle, for instance when Hagrid's hut is set ablaze.

(Intruder Charm)

Description: Detects intruders and sounds an alarm.Seen/mentioned: Slughorn had it on a temporary Muggle owned house he was living in, allowing him to detect Dumbledore and Harry as they approached in Half-Blood Prince.