(P) Spells

Pack

Pronunciation: /ˈpæk/ pak, as in EnglishDescription: Packs a trunk, or perhaps any luggage.Seen/mentioned: Used in Prisoner of Azkaban by Lupin in his office, and inOrder of the Phoenix by Tonks, once verbally and again non-verbally.

(Permanent Sticking Charm)

Description: Makes objects permanently stay in place.Seen/mentioned: First mentioned inOrder of the Phoenix, Sirius suspects that his mother's painting was fixed to the wall with such a Charm. InDeathly Hallows, Harry discovers that it was used by Sirius to permanently affix his pictures to the wall in his room.

Petrificus Totalus (Body-Bind Curse)

Pronunciation:/pɛˈtrɪfᵻkəs toʊˈtæləs/ pe-trif-i-kəstoh-tal-əsDescription: Used to temporarily bind the victim's body in a position much like that of a soldier at attention; this spell does not restrict breathing or seeing, and the victim will usually fall to the ground.[11]Seen/mentioned: First used inPhilosopher's Stone by Hermione, who was trying to prevent Neville from stopping her, Ron, and Harry from leaving the common room to hunt for the Philosopher's Stone.[PS Ch.16] It is then used throughout the rest of the series, especially during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries in Order of the Phoenix. Seen in Half-Blood Prince twice: in the beginning, Draco uses the spell against Harry on the train, and later when Dumbledore casts the spell non-verbally to make Harry freeze so he does not give himself away in the Astronomy Tower. The spell was broken when Dumbledore was killed.Notes: The eyes of the target remain mobile, as seen in the Philosopher's Stone, and in the Deathly Hallows.

Piertotum Locomotor

Pronunciation:/paɪ.ərˈtoʊtəm loʊkoʊˈmoʊtɔːr/ py-ər-toh-təm loh-ko-moh-torDescription: Spell used to animate statues and suits of armour to do the caster's bidding.Seen/mentioned: In Deathly Hallows, McGonagall uses this spell to animate the suits of armour and statues within Hogwarts to defend the castle.[16]

(Placement Charm)

Description: A charm which temporarily places an object upon a desired target.Seen/mentioned: Mentioned inFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Point Me (Four-Point Spell)

Pronunciation: /ˈpɔɪntmiː/ poynt-mee, as in EnglishDescription: Causes the caster's wand tip to point to the north cardinal point, acting like a compass.Seen/mentioned: By Harry during the third task of the Triwizard Tournament in Goblet of Fire.

Portus

Pronunciation: /ˈpɔːrtəs/ port-əsDescription: Turns an object into aportkey. The object glows an odd blue colour to show it has been transformed into a portkey, then goes solid again.[OotP Ch.22]Seen/mentioned: Used by Dumbledore in Order of the Phoenix.Notes: Portkeys were first seen inGoblet of Fire as a means for Harry, Hermione, and the Weasleys to go to the Quidditch World Cup. However, the spell used in its creation was not seen until Order of the Phoenix when Dumbledore creates a Portkey to get Harry Potter and Fred, George, Ron, and Ginny Weasley to Grimmauld Place.[OotP Ch.22] Also requires Ministry approval to use.

Prior Incantato

See also: Magic in Harry Potter § Priori Incantatem

Pronunciation:/ˈpraɪɔːr ˌɪŋkænˈtɑːtoʊ/ pry-or ing-kan-tah-tohDescription: Causes the echo (a shadow or image) of the last spell cast by a wand to emanate from it.Seen/mentioned: Used by Amos Diggory in Goblet of Fire to discover the last spell cast by Harry's wand after it was found in the hands of Winky, a house-elf. Mentioned inDeathly Hallows as a means of discovering that Harry had been casting spells with Hermione's wand (implying that his own was broken).

(Protean Charm)

Description: Causes copies of an object to be remotely affected by changes made to the original.Seen/mentioned: First used in Order of the Phoenix. Hermione put the charm on a number of fakeGalleons.[8] Instead of the serial number around the edge of the coin, the time and date of the next meeting of Dumbledore's Army appeared. Said to be a spell at NEWT level.

Protego (Shield Charm)

Pronunciation: /proʊˈteɪɡoʊ/ proh-tay-gohDescription: The Shield Charm[12]causes minor to strong jinxes, curses, and hexes to rebound upon the attacker, or at least prevents them from having their full effect. It can also cause a shield to erupt from the caster's wand.Seen/mentioned: First seen in Goblet of Fire, in which Harry Potter is taught this spell by Hermione Granger in preparation for the third task in the Triwizard Tournament. Also used throughout the series. Examples are in Order of the Phoenix when Harry blocks Snape's Legilimency after a lengthy Occlumency lessons and when Harry is duelling the Death Eaters. Harry later uses this spell inHalf-Blood Prince to block Snape's jinx when he was showing Ron how to cast a spell without saying a word. Harry later uses it in Deathly Hallowsto separate Ron and Hermione when they are fighting.

Protego Horribilis

Pronunciation:/proʊˈteɪɡoʊ hɒˈrɪbᵻlɪs/ proh-tay-gohhor-rib-il-isDescription: Provides some form of protection against Dark Magic.Seen/mentioned: Cast by Flitwick in an attempt to strengthen the castle's defences in Deathly Hallows

Protego Totalum

Pronunciation:/proʊˈteɪɡoʊ toʊˈtæləm/ proh-tay-goh toh-tal-əmDescription: Provides protection of some form for an area or dwelling.Seen/mentioned: In Deathly Hallows, this is one of the spells used by Hermione and Harry to protect their camp site from unwanted visitors.