(S) Spells

Salvio Hexia

Pronunciation: /ˈsælvioʊ ˈhɛksiə/sal-vee-oh hek-see-əDescription: Provides some form of protection against hexes.Seen/mentioned: Harry and Hermione cast this spell to strengthen their campsite's defences against intruders in Deathly Hallows.

Scourgify (Scouring Charm)

Pronunciation: /ˈskɜːrdʒᵻfaɪ/ skur-ji-fyDescription: Used to clean something.[8][11]Seen/mentioned: First used by Tonks to clean Hedwig's cage in Order of the Phoenix. Later, Ginny performs the spell to clean up Stinksap in the Hogwarts Express. While looking at Snape's memories, Harry sees James use the spell on Snape's mouth.

Sectumsempra

Pronunciation: /ˌsɛktəmˈsɛmprə/sek-təm-sem-prəDescription: Violently wounds the target; described as being as though the subject had been "slashed by a sword".[15] Created by Severus Snape.Seen/mentioned: First seen in Order of the Phoenix when Snape uses it in his memory against James, but misses and only lightly cuts his cheek. Used successfully by Harry inHalf-Blood Prince against Draco, and then later against the Inferi in Voldemort's Horcrux chamber, and Snape during his flight from Hogwarts. In the opening chapters ofDeathly Hallows, Snape accidentally casts this curse against George Weasley in the Order's flight from Privet Drive, though George was not his intended target. [DH Ch.3] It is known as a speciality of Snape's.[DH Ch.5]Notes: Though Snape was able to mend the wounds inflicted on Draco by this curse with ease, with "an incantation that sounded almost like song", Mrs Weasley was unable to heal her son George when his ear was severed by the curse. It was discovered in an old copy of Advanced Potion Making by Harry; Sectumsempra was invented by Snape with the words "For enemies" written next to it.

Serpensortia

Pronunciation: /ˌsɜːrpənˈsɔːrtiə/ sur-pən-sor-tee-əDescription: Conjures a serpent from the spell caster's wand.[11]Seen/mentioned: Used by Draco whilst duelling Harry in Chamber of Secrets and Voldemort in the duel against Dumbledore in Order of the Phoenix.

Silencio (Silencing Charm)

Pronunciation: /sɪˈlɛnsioʊ/ si-len-see-ohDescription: Silences something immediately[8][11]Seen/mentioned: First used by Hermione in Order of the Phoenix to silence a frog and a raven in Charms class, then later to silence a Death Eater who was trying to use a spell against Harry Potter. It was also used by Voldemort in Deathly Hallowsduring the Battle of Hogwarts.

(Slug-Vomiting Charm)

Description: A jet of green light strikes the victim, who then vomits slugs for an undefined period of time (greater than five hours). The sizes of the vomited slugs decrease with time.Seen/mentioned: In Chamber of Secrets, Ron attempts to use it on Draco by saying "Eat Slugs"; the spell backfired and hit him instead. Mentioned in Order of the Phoenixbefore Gryffindor's first Quidditch Match against Slytherin when Draco taunts Ron, "Harry was reminded forcibly of the time that Ron had accidentally put a Slug-Vomiting Charm on himself".[OotP Ch.19]

Sonorus

Pronunciation: /sɒˈnɔərəs/ son-nohr-əsDescription: Magnifies the spell caster's voice, functioning as a magical megaphoneSeen/mentioned: By Ludo Bagman and Cornelius Fudge in Goblet of Fireto commentate at the Quidditch World Cup and during the Triwizard Tournament. Also used by Dumbledore to silence everyone in the Great Hall in Goblet of Fire. Used by Voldemort several times during the Battle of Hogwarts in Deathly Hallows.Notes: The counter-spell isQuietus.[citation needed]

Specialis Revelio (Scarpin's Revelaspell)

Pronunciation:/ˌspɛsiˈælᵻs rɛˈvɛlioʊ/ spes-ee-al-isre-vel-ee-ohDescription: Causes an object to show its hidden secrets or magical properties.Seen/mentioned: Used by Hermione to find out more of Harry's Advanced Potion-Making book in Half-Blood Prince. Used by Ernie Macmillan to find out the ingredients of a potion.

(Stealth Sensoring Spell)

Description: Detects those under magical disguise.Seen/mentioned: In Order of the Phoenix, Umbridge casts this around her office. Also used at the entrance to the Ministry of Magic.

(Stinging Hex/Stinging Jinx)

Description: Produces a stinging sensation in the victim, resulting in angry red welts and occasionally the severe inflammation of the affected area.Seen/mentioned: Harry inadvertently casts one on Snape duringOcclumency lessons in Order of the Phoenix. Hermione casts the Stinging Hex on Harry in Deathly Hallows to purposefully distort Harry's appearance.

Stupefy (Stunning Spell, Stupefying Charm, Stunner)

Pronunciation: /ˈstjuːpᵻfaɪ/ stew-pi-fyDescription: Puts the victim in an unconscious state. Manifests as a jet of red light.Seen/mentioned: First seen in Goblet of Fire, used by Ministry officials at the Quidditch World Cup and later against Barty Crouch Jr.. Also seen used by a number of Ministry officials against McGonagall in Order of the Phoenix. It is also taught by Harry in his Dumbledore's Army meetings and used extensively during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries against the Death Eaters. Is seen by some, including Harry himself, as the basic spell for fighting. Death Eaters, Ministry Officials, Order members and students all seem to refer to this spell as their preferred attack.Notes: Hagrid was able to withstand multiple direct Stunners due to being half-giant, and Goblet of Fire shows six to seven wizards working in unison to Stun a single dragon.[citation needed]

(Supersensory Charm)

Description: Able to possess superior senses than before.Seen/mentioned: Mentioned by Ron outside of the Hogwarts Express during the epilogue of Deathly Hallowsas a potential substitute for using mirrors while driving a car.

(Switching Spell)

Description: Causes two objects to be switched for one another.Seen/mentioned: Harry contemplates using this spell against his dragon in the first task of the Triwizard Tournament. Neville also uses this in Transfiguration class in Goblet of Fire, and accidentally transplants his ears onto a cactus.