(L) Spells

Langlock

Pronunciation: /ˈlæŋlɒk/ lang-lokDescription: Glues the victim's tongue to the roof of his/her mouth. Created by Severus Snape.Seen/mentioned: Used by Harry inHalf-Blood Prince on Peeves and onArgus Filch, to general applause.

Legilimens

Pronunciation: /lɛˈdʒɪlᵻmɛnz/ le-jil-i-menzDescription: Allows the caster to delve into the mind of the victim, allowing the caster to see the memories, thoughts, and emotions of the victim.Seen/mentioned: Used by Snape on Harry during Occlumency lessons inOrder of the Phoenix and by Dumbledore on Kreacher. Also used nonverbally by Snape on Harry inHalf-Blood Prince to allow him to see where Harry had learned theSectumsempra spell. Used by Lord Voldemort multiple times to see Harry's thoughts.Notes: See also Legilimency for more information.

Levicorpus

Pronunciation: /lɛvᵻˈkɔːrpəs/ lev-i-kor-pəs (usually nonverbal)Description: The victim is dangled upside-down by one of his/her ankles, sometimes accompanied by a flash of white light.[15] Created by Severus Snape. Its counter curse isLiberacorpus.Seen/mentioned: It was originally shown to be a nonverbal-only spell, but in the Deathly Hallows, the text shows that Hermione whispers it to lift Harry so he can steal the Cup ofHelga Hufflepuff. Harry learns it by reading the notes written by the Half-Blood Prince. He inadvertently uses it on Ron in Half-Blood Prince. In addition, in Order of Phoenix, Harry sees (through the Pensieve) his father, James, use the spell against Snape.Notes: Though Harry initially learns Levicorpus as a nonverbal spell, it is used verbally by James Potter in The Order of the Phoenix and by Hermione Granger in The Deathly Hallows.

Liberacorpus

Pronunciation: /ˌlɪbərəˈkɔːrpəs/ lib-ər-ə-kor-pəs (nonverbal)Description: The counter spell toLevicorpus. Created by Severus Snape.Seen/mentioned: Harry uses the spell in Half-Blood Prince to counteract theLevicorpus spell he inadvertently casts on Ron. Harry also casts it on himself in Deathly Hallows after managing to retrieve the Horcruxfrom the shelf in the Lestrange's vault.

Locomotor

Pronunciation: /ˌloʊkoʊˈmoʊtɔːr/loh-ko-moh-torDescription: The spell is always used with the name of a target, at which the wand is pointed (e.g. "Locomotor Trunk!"). The spell causes the named object to rise in the air and move around at the will of the caster.Seen/mentioned: Used by Tonks inOrder of the Phoenix to move Harry's trunk from his room. Flitwick similarly uses it to move Sybill Trelawney's trunk after Umbridge sacks her.Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown use this spell to race their pencil cases around the edges of the table. A variation seen in Deathly Hallows isPiertotum Locomotor, which animated the suits of armour in Hogwarts.

Locomotor Mortis (Leg-Locker Curse)

Pronunciation:/ˌloʊkoʊˈmoʊtɔːr ˈmɔːrtᵻs/ loh-ko-moh-tor mor-tisDescription: Locks the legs together, preventing the victim from moving the legs in any fashion. The target can hop when affected by this curse, but walking is impossible without the countercurseSeen/mentioned: Used by Draco onNeville Longbottom in Philosopher's Stone. Also mentioned further on in the book as Ron and Hermione prepare to use it on Snape during a Quidditch match. Used by Harry on Draco, who deflects it, in Half-Blood Prince.

Lumos

"Lumos" redirects here. For the charity, seeLumos (charity).

Pronunciation: /ˈljuːmɒs/ lew-mosDescription: Creates a narrow beam of light that shines from the wand's tip, like a torch.[11]Seen/mentioned: First seen inChamber of Secrets and then constantly throughout the series.Notes: The counter spell, Nox, extinguishes the light. The caster of this spell can cast other spells while this spell is in effect.