(F) Spells

Ferula

Pronunciation: /ˈfɛrʊlə/ ferr-uul-əDescription: Creates a bandage and a splint.Seen/mentioned: Used by Lupin inPrisoner of Azkaban to bind Ron's broken leg.

(Fidelius Charm)

Description: A charm involving secret information hidden within the soul of a Secret-Keeper. This information is irretrievable until the Secret-Keeper chooses to reveal it; those who have the secret revealed to them cannot reveal it to others.Seen/mentioned: In Prisoner of Azkaban, it is explained that when Harry was an infant, he and his parents, James and Lily Potter, were hidden from Voldemort by this charm. Later, in Order of the Phoenix, the charm is used to hide the location of the headquarters for the Order of the Phoenix. Order members in Deathly Hallows also use it to protect their homes.Notes: Rowling previously stated that when a Secret-Keeper dies, the Secret they held can never be revealed to anyone else; the people who were told before the Secret-Keeper's death will still know the secret, but after the death of the Secret-Keeper no one new can be brought into the circle of knowledge.[13] However, in Deathly Hallows, it is explained that upon the Keeper's death, all those who have been told the secret become Secret-Keepers in turn, and can pass the secret on to others.

(Fiendfyre Curse)

Description: Dangerous, hard to control and extremely powerful cursed fire which can take the form of beasts such as serpents, Chimeras, and dragons.Seen/mentioned: In Deathly Hallows,Vincent Crabbe uses Fiendfyre in theRoom of Requirement against Harry, Ron, and Hermione who manage to escape on broomsticks with Draco and Goyle.[DH Ch.31]Notes: It is only used by Crabbe throughout in Deathly Hallows, who Harry believes learned it from theCarrows[DH Ch.31] during their tenure as teachers at Hogwarts. Therefore, Crabbe inadvertently destroyed one ofLord Voldemort's Horcruxes.

Finite Incantatem

Pronunciation:/fɪˈniːteɪ ˌɪŋkənˈtɑːtəm/ fi-nee-tayin-kən-taht-əmDescription: Negates many spells or the effects of many spells.Seen/mentioned: Snape uses it inChamber of Secrets to restore order in the Duelling Club when Harry and Draco are duelling. Lupin uses the short form "Finite" in Order of the Phoenix. It was suggested to Ron Weasley (whose appearance at the time was that of Reg Cattermole, a maintenance worker in the Ministry of Magic) that this incantation might work to stop a rainstorm in a Ministry office when Harry, Hermione and Ron infiltrated the Ministry of Magic in search of the Slytherin Locket inDeathly Hallows.

Flagrate

Pronunciation: /fləˈɡreɪtiː/ flə-gray-teeDescription: With this spell, the caster's wand can leave fiery marks.Seen/mentioned: Cast by Tom Riddle in The Chamber of Secrets to spell out 'Tom Marvolo Riddle' and unscramble it to 'I am Lord Voldemort'. Also cast by Hermione in Order of the Phoenixto identify doors of the Department of Mysteries which members ofDumbledore's Army had already opened, by marking them with an 'X'.

(Flame-Freezing Charm)

Description: Causes fire to become harmless to those caught in it, creating only a gentle, tickling sensation instead of burns.Seen/mentioned: Mentioned in the first chapter of Prisoner of Azkaban in the book History of Magic which Harry is reading to do his homework. Witches and wizards used this spell during medieval burnings.

(Flying Charm)

Description: Cast on broomsticks, and (presumably) magic carpets to make them fly.Seen/mentioned: Draco mentioned this spell when tauntingly asking Ron why would anyone cast a Flying Charm on Ron's broomstick in Order of the Phoenix during Ron's first Quidditch practice. It is also mentioned in Quidditch Through the Ages.

(Freezing Charm)

Description: Renders target immobile.Seen/mentioned: According toHorace Slughorn, a Freezing Charm will also disable a Muggle burglar alarm.

Furnunculus (Furnunculus Curse)

Pronunciation: /fərˈnʌŋkjᵿləs/ fər-nung-kew-ləsDescription: Causes the target to become covered in boils.Seen/mentioned: Used by Harry inGoblet of Fire on Draco, but was deflected onto Goyle instead. Also used later in the book when Draco tried to harass Harry on the Hogwarts Express and was hit with a barrage of curses, including the Furnuculus Curse (which was cast by Harry).[GF Ch.37]