(O) Spells

(Obliteration Charm)

Description: Removes things not wished to be seen again.Seen/mentioned: Used by Hermione in Order of the Phoenix to remove the footprints that she, Harry, and Ron left in the snow. Also used in Deathly Hallows by Hermione to remove the footprints she and Harry leave behind them in the snow as they journey through Godric's Hollow.Notes: The above instances only reveal that the Obliteration Charmcan remove footprints. There is no explanation as to what effect it can have on other things.

Obliviate (Memory Charm)

Pronunciation: /oʊˈblɪvieɪt/ oh-bliv-ee-aytDescription: Used to hide a memory of a particular event.Seen/mentioned: First mentioned (not by name) in the Philosopher's Stone by Ron that it was used on Muggles who have seen dragons. First used inChamber of Secrets by Lockhart who wanted to use it on Harry and Ron; the spell backfired because Ron's wand had been damaged, causing Lockhart to lose most of his own memory (which he never recovers). InGoblet of Fire, it is used by an unknown Ministry worker on Mr. Roberts and later the rest of his family. In Deathly Hallows, Hermione uses the spell on two Death Eaters who had followed Harry, Ron, and Hermione after their escape from Bill Weasley and Fleur's wedding. Also used by Hermione on Xenophilius Lovegood after destroying his house in Deathly Hallows and erasing her parents memories of herself.

Obscuro

Pronunciation: /ɒbˈskjʊəroʊ/ ob-skewr-ohDescription: Causes a blindfold to appear over the victim's eyes, obstructing his/her view of his/her surroundings.Seen/mentioned: Used by Hermione in Deathly Hallows to obstructPhineas Nigellus Black's portrait's view of their location.

Oppugno

Pronunciation: /əˈpʌɡnoʊ/ ə-pug-nohDescription: Causes conjured objects to attack.Seen/mentioned: Used by Hermione in Half-Blood Prince to attack Ron with a conjured flock of canaries (also see Avis).

Orchideous

Pronunciation: /ɔːrˈkɪdiəs/ or-kid-ee-əsDescription: Makes a bouquet of flowers appear out of the caster's wand.Seen/mentioned: Used in Goblet of Fire by Ollivander to test Fleur's wand.