62. One Hell of a Night!!

She held my hand, walking into the hut.. But I could clearly see the hesitation in her yes.

Does she hate me now?

Her hand felt too small in mine.. and we walked to the house. A lady was standing at the door step, she also looked old and worn. Though her face looked confused, she gave us a warm and welcoming smile, her eyes constantly shifting between us and her husband.

The old man, taking his towel and placing it on his shoulder, walked to his wife, holding a small packet, of what I assume is eatables. The lady took the packet, while whispering something into her husband's ears, looking at us.

Making Dhruvika stay near the door, I walked up to them. Seeing my approach, they both went silent.

"Please help us. My wife, she is injured. We just need a place to stay for the night. We will be long gone before tomorrow's sunset. Please." I pleaded them, folding my hands.

"It's okay, I understand." She said holding my hands and smiling at me in a very motherly way. "But we do not have much to offer you. But you can sleep here alright, and we will give you food. But is she really your wife? She has no mangalsutra or sindoor." The lady said. She looked kind.

"Oh Kanchi.. They were chased by the goons. Look at her, she is scared." As if on cue, the three of our heads turned towards Dhruvika, who stood alone by the door, looking around her in fear, hugging herself. It was so obvious that she was visibly shaken.

I felt a pang of guilt flow through me seeing her like that.

"And she is pregnant!" The words were out of my mouth before I could even think.

"Oh my..." The lady cried, and both of their eyes looked warm and kind. Another pang of guilt shot through me.

Oh.. Dhruvika was soo not going to like this...

"Bring her here... She must be scared." Said the lady, as she shooed my off to fetch my girl, my wife.. No, my pregnant wife.

I held her hand, tightly within mine, pulling her close to me. She seemed to hide her face behind me, but I couldn't be sure. Soon the lady welcomed us in. But as soon as she saw Dhruvika, she gasped.

"Oh My God, you are badly injured. It is all bloody, and dark. What happened?" The lady asked, going all hysterical. This seemed to push Dhruvika into agony. Her hand twitched in mine, and I squeezed her in reassurance. "I will make some hot water for you.. You should wash before it starts to get infected. I hope you will help her, I am not very good with all those. I'll start going hysterical." The lady said the last part looking at me, and I smiled back.

"Kanchi, first just let them inside. They must be tired. Come in Kids. We don't have much luxury here. I hope you will be able to adjust. Kanchi get them something to drink." He told the lady, as he assured us inside. The lady, Kanchi ran inside to get us all some water.

She came holding a clay pot, handing it first to Dhruvika. She slowly pulled her hand from mine, and held the pot close to her mouth, smiling at the lady. She gulped down the water taking huge gulps. But most of the water was flowing out of her little mouth, wetting her dress. Soon the pot ran dry, and the lady chuckled.

"Oh dear, you must be famished. Let me get you some more." Saying that, the lady went inside, while Dhruvika looked at us, embarrassed. Her face going red.

Soon we were all drunk, our thirsts quenched by the cold water.

"You know... you should help her wash. By then I'll make you all some food. We weren't expecting guests. But by the time you both have washed up, we will be ready to have dinner." The old lady was kind.