Chapter 7

[Camille]

“OMG, I need help!” I yelled over the phone. It was Saturday morning, the morning after my night with Nathan. I was going crazy. What the hell was I thinking?! I freaking hated the guy for crying out loud!

“Calm down and tell me what’s wrong,” Janice said. I told her everything, from the time her mom picked her up to that goodbye kiss I gave him. “Oh my god, you like him!”

“Like hell I do! It didn’t mean anything, right? He knows it was just a thank you kiss, right?” I pleaded.

“There’s no point in trying to deny it. You said he smiled, right? Well, to me, that pretty much says he liked that little peck on the cheek. You both have feelings for each other,” she said. I groaned and threw myself on the bed.

Stupid heart. Why him of all people? Why not Orlando Bloom or Jonny Depp?

“I have to make him hate me more,” I said.

“How are you going to do that exactly?” she asked with a hint of curiosity in her voice.

I took a while to think about that. What did Nathan value most? Maybe I could go out with one of his friends, that should make him despise me. No, that would be wrong using others.

“I got it!” Janice screamed. “Make him fall in love with you, then crush his heart.”

“What?! That’s just cruel, Janice!” I said. I was not going to do something like that, even to Nathan.

“What, no its not! I’m pretty sure he would do the same thing if he was in your situation,” she said.

“I doubt he’s that cruel,” I said. Honestly, I couldn’t believe he wouldn’t do that.

**

[Nathan]

It was another boring Saturday. I was up watching cartoons eating a bowl of cereal. Alex came padding into the living room yawning and sat beside me on the couch.

“So, about that girl last night,” he said. I ignored him as I spooned more cereal into my mouth. “I was thinking she was pretty cute, so I might just go for her.” I chocked on the cereal.

“What?” I asked coughing.

“I was kidding and knew that would catch your attention,” he said. I went into the kitchen to grab a glass of water. “So, tell me. Is she really not your girlfriend? She sure seems like it.”

“She’s not,” I said, hoping he would drop it already.

“Okay, whatever you say,” he said shrugging. I left him there and went to take a shower. As I stood under the water, I wondered what my plans were for today. While dressing, I could hear my parents up and about, which meant more arguing. I grabbed my keys and headed downstairs.

“I’m going for a drive,” I said to Alex. I didn’t wait for an answer as I walked out. I drove to the park, which was crowded with kids. I sat on my car watching them with a forlorn look on my face.

“Hellooooo.” I snapped out of it to see a hand waving in front of my face. I followed the hand, not realizing what I was doing, and then grabbed it. Camille was the owner of that hand and that made my grip on it lessen.

“Why are you here?” I asked, not yet letting go of her hand.

“I needed to clear my head, so I went for a ride. I somehow ended up her,” she said. I noticed the skateboard under her arm. She pulled her hand free from mine and we both stood in an awkward silence.