Chapter 12

[Nathan]

“Morning.” I turned away from the TV to give my mom a backwards glance, and then turned back toward the movie. It was already four in the afternoon, and she’s just now getting up.

“Dido,” I said. She went into the kitchen to pour herself a cup of coffee, just Alex came down.

“Morning. So mom, what did you get me for Christmas?” he asked.

“Wait, its Christmas?” she asked shocked. Alex gave her the “Are you kidding me?” look. I figured she’d forget about Christmas. It’s not like it was her first time forgetting. “Uh, how about I give you guys money?”

“Sure,” Alex said holding his hand out. She grabbed her purse and dug out some bills. “$250?! Oh, hell yeah!”  he said as he ran up the stairs.

“And for you,” mom said handing me $300.

“Awesome.” I stuffed the money in my pocket and turned back to the TV.

“At least show a little more Christmas spirit,” mom said. I turned off the TV and headed upstairs. “Don’t walk away when I’m talking to you!” I paused and turned toward her.

“Anything else?”

“Don’t you dare backtalk me, you understand? I’m your--”

“You’re my mother, yeah I know. Too bad I don’t give a damn. I’m going out.” I ignored her protests as I made my way to my room. I grabbed my keys and went through my window. I needed to see someone, who can put me in a better mood.

**

[Camille]

“Merry Christmas.” I smiled at the surprise on Katelyn's face as I handed her the small gift. Inside was a pair of bracelets. “One for me, and one for you, because we’re sisters.” I took it out the box and put one on her, then on me. There were charms on there, one with ‘Sister’ on it. “Do you like it?”

“Y-yeah, thanks,” she said staring at it.

“Ugh, gross, you guys are having a moment,” Christien said. I shot him a glare. Before I could give him a good comeback, my phone rang.

“Hello.”

“Hey, it’s me.” my smile faded at the sound of Nathan on the other end.

“What is it?” I headed to the backyard, away from my brothers making kissy faces at me. Yeah, I know, some brothers right?

“Mind if I come over?”

“Well, it’s Christmas. Shouldn’t you be with your family today?” The line went quiet.

“Forget it.” He hung up before I could ask him what was wrong.

“Hey, where are you going?” Aldrick asked.

“Just…out,” I said. I walked out and skateboarded to the park. I could see his car, just as I thought. I knew he would be here.

“Hey,” I said walking toward him. “So, tell me, what’s wrong with you? It’s Christmas, so you should be happy.” He scoffed at that.

“Yeah, right. Maybe for you, but not me,” he said.

“What happened?”

“Let’s just say I have horrible parents,” he said. I knew he didn’t want to talk about it, so I just gave him a pat on the shoulder.

“Cheer up, because I have something that will make you happy,” I said smiling. He smiled back as he lifted an eyebrow.

“A kiss?” he asked leaning toward me. I shot my hand up before our lips could make contact.