Chapter 14

[Camille]

The next day, I went back to ‘normal,’ i.e., back to my usual clothing. Sure, I may have enjoyed dressing up, but there's I didn’t intend to do it every day. Katelyn has become more distant, and I had no idea why. We were off to a good start just last week, and then, out of nowhere, she started giving me the cold shoulder.

“Hey, what's up with you?” I asked her that morning at breakfast.

“Nothing, why do you ask?” She kept her attention of the blueberry muffin she was eating, refusing to look at me.

“Well, you’re acting like I did something bad, and being more distant.”

“It’s nothing, you’re just overreacting. We’re sisters, aren’t we?” She held up her bracelet and gave me a smile. I smiled back. Maybe I was overreacting.

“We’re leaving!” Aldrick called. We grabbed our bags and followed Christien out to the car. Nathan was outside leaning on his car.

“What are you doing here?” I asked walking up to him.

“To pick you up, of course.”

“But I already have a ride.” I looked over at Aldrick, who was waiting by his car watching us.

“How about I give you guys a ride then? I wouldn’t mind.”

“I’m down with that,” Christien said getting in the backseat. Katelyn got in after him, and I could feel this coldness coming from her. Aldrick bid us farewell and we headed off to school, with Nathan and Christien talking about boy stuff.

“What's wrong?” I asked Katelyn when we made it to school. She ignored me and kept walking. What the hell was her problem? Her attitude was really starting to piss me the hell off. What the hell did I do to make her give me the cold shoulder?

**

[Christien]

Something was seriously up with Camille and Katelyn, and knew why: Nathan. When Nathan came to pick Camille up, I saw the death glare Katelyn gave her. I saw it yesterday at lunch, too.

I followed after Katelyn and grabbed her by the arm. She glared at me and tried to release her arm.

“Do like Nathan?” I asked. She stopped with a blank expression.

“That’s none of your business,” she said.

“Like hell it is. You may be my sister, but if you do anything to Camille, I’ll kill you. Got it?” My threat seemed to have unfazed her as she glared at me. I let go of her arm, and she stormed down the hall. I sighed deeply and ruffled my hair. This really wasn’t my business, but I wasn’t going to stand idly by until something bad happened.

“Is it true?” I turned quickly to see Camille standing behind me. “Does she like him?”

“I don’t know, I’m pretty sure she does.” She nodded her head, as she finally understood the reasons for Katelyn's change in attitude. “What are you going to do?”

“I’ll just talk to her, I guess. There's nothing else for me to do.” I watched as she walked to her locker slowly. I walked to my locker as well, deciding to get involved, for now.

**

[Nathan]

Meet me behind the school, near the West stairwell, at lunch.

I reread the note again, wondering who it was that sent me the note. Was it Camille and, if so, why she wanted to meet there exactly? The sound of the lunch bell shook me from my thoughts. I headed to the back of the school, and waited for whoever I was supposed to meet.

“Did I make you wait?” I turned to see Katelyn smiling from behind me.

“You’re the one that wanted me to meet you here?” I asked.

“Yeah, I was. I wanted to show you something.” She looked to her right and smiled harder. She came toward me and, before I knew it, she kissed me. I pulled her away and wiped my lips.

“Wha…” My body froze when I saw Camille standing there, hurt and anger on her face. “How could you?” she said quietly.

“Camille, it’s not--”

“How could you kiss my freaking sister you asshole! I can’t believe you did this to me!” she yelled. She turned her eyes to Katelyn, who was standing close beside me. “You’re supposed to be my sister, and you do this. I should have never been nice to you; instead I should have let you continue to hate me. God, what an idiot I am not to see what a sneaky little bitch you are.” She looked at both of us, unshed tears in her eyes, and said, “I hope you’re happy together,” and ran away. I tried following her, but Katelyn grabbed me.

“No, let her go,” she said fiercely. I shook her hand away and followed after Camille, but she was gone. I finally had her, yet, in one day, she was gone. I walked back to where Katelyn was, with anger in every step. I slammed her against the building, and saw fear in her eyes. I held my anger in, not wanting to hit her, even if she deserved it.

“Don’t you ever come near me again,” I said angrily, and walked off. My hands shook and I punched the building. Ignoring the pain, I made my way to my car, going somewhere to clear my head.

**

[Camille]

I couldn’t believe they betrayed me like this. I was so angry that I went into the girls’ restroom and started punching and kicking random things. When I was done, I had a broken hand and a dented hand dryer. Not wanting to go to class, I grabbed my board from my locker, and walked out of the building. I stopped at the last step, realizing I was going to go to the park, our park. I went back inside, threw my board in my locker, and went back to class.

I felt dead inside the rest of the day. Anyone who tried talking to me was greeted with silence.

“Camille, what's wrong?” I looked up at the sound of Christien. I was sitting in front of my locker.

“I saw them, Katelyn and Nathan,” I said weakly. Saying their names made me feel angry. Just as I mentioned Katelyn's name, she rounded the corner. She paused when she saw us.

“What the hell did you do?!” Christen asked angrily.

“I didn’t do anything wrong. It’s not my fault Nathan likes me,” she said. My hand flinched at the sound of his name.

“How long?” I asked quietly. She gave me a blank expression, not answering my question. “How long have you guys been like this?!”

“A few days now,” she answered.

“Bullshit! I know you’re lying and planned this whole thing, not caring if you hurt the one person who actually gave a damn about you,” Christien said. He took my hand and stood me up. “Why don’t you go back to your mother; we don’t want you here anymore.” He walked off, dragging me with him. I turned back to see Katelyn crying. A part of me felt sorry for her, but the other part felt a sense of satisfaction.

The bitch deserved it for what she did, and I refused to feel any sympathy for her.