Chapter 9

HELLO MY LOVELIES! I wanted to thank you all for being so patient with me. My school and personal life has been so hectic, preventing me from actually writing. Believe me when I say I try to find the time but something always comes up. But for you guys being so amazing and waiting patiently for me to update, I decided to write for you this weekend. :) ENJOY! ♥

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I simply laid there on my bed, my eyes wide open as they followed the small shadows that were now casted along the length of these walls. They danced happily above me, a perfect distraction from my never ending thoughts that consumed my mind. No matter how hard I tried to grasp onto sleep and welcome it with open arms, it would slip right through my fingertips, causing an aggravated groan to escape my parted lips.

I turned to my side to face the window in front of me, letting out a small sigh as I stared up at the glistening moon above. Why can I not sleep? I know I've had trouble doing so before, but never had it taken me this long. Tilting my head slightly, I gazed at the bright numbers to my left, noticing that it was already 3:37 in the morning. Are you kidding me? It'll be a matter of time before I have to wake up and get ready for work. Wait a minute, I have the weekend as well as Monday off, so I had no need to worry. Earlier this week I couldn't wait for Friday to arrive and relax the way I had wanted to. But after what had happened only a few hours ago, I wanted nothing more than to distract myself with a large amount of work instead. Then again, having the Alpha of the Lincroft Pack working under the same roof as me wasn't exactly something I looked forward to either.

Finally giving up after who knows how many useless attempts, I sat up on my bed and leaned against the headboard. I crossed my arms over my chest and stared harshly at the purple sheets in front of me. Even though I had brought many things from home with me, it never compared to how safe I felt back in Black Forest. But somehow, now, I felt more at home than I had ever done so before for some odd reason, and I somehow knew why.

Tilting my head towards the door, I listened carefully for any sign of movement in the living room. Ugh, if only I had the same hearing ability as a werewolf does, because all I was able to hear was the sound of my own heavy breathing.

I leaned forward on my bed, pressing the palm of my hands on the edge as the distance between the door and I decreased. There was absolutely nothing! No sound of any movement or snoring. Then again, I knew from all the times Marcus had sneaked into my room at night without my father's approval that he wasn't one to snore, thankfully.

A pang of pain spread across my chest as my mind replayed the memories I had desperately tried to keep hidden. Like a tidal wave, it all came rushing back with such great force that the grip on my sheets tightened immensely. My heavy breathing came out in small gasps as I nearly found it impossible for me to breathe in this small room of mine. I had to get out.

Without thinking twice, I pulled back the covers and swung my feet over the bed until they were planted firmly on the ground beneath me. Trying my best not to make a sound, despite how old the floorboards were, I crept up to the door and felt a small shiver run down my spine as the cold metal collided with my fingertips. Twisting it open, I quietly made my way towards the kitchen at the other end of the apartment. From the corner of my eye, I noticed a dark figure sprawled across the length of the couch and I felt my heart quicken in pace as I passed near him.

Finally in my destination, I opened the refrigerator and was immediately illuminated by the bright light from inside. I shielded my eyes as I reached out for the gallon of water I always bought from the grocery store since the water in this building wasn't at all that sanitary.

Not wanting the light to awaken him, I closed the refrigerator door quickly, concealing the light immediately before opening a cabinet and reaching for a freshly washed glass cup. Leaning against the counter, I poured myself a glass and relished the cool sensation of the liquid as it rushed down my raspy throat. Satisfied with the drink, I placed the cup inside the small sink until I felt something stir behind me. Turning around slowly, I nearly let out a piercing scream as a dark figure hovered over me, completely idle as it stared down at my petrified frame. It took me a few seconds to realize who it was, but I somehow managed to calm down my now fast beating heart.