Chapter 2

Lahar's eyes widened as he stared at the infamous Lightning surfer. Who was just introduced to him, by Laxus, as (Y/N) (L/N). You gave him a wide smile, holding out your hand for him to shake. He was in total shock. Laxus had only left minutes ago and then returned, saying they crossed paths in the sky.

"So," Lahar finally said, breaking the growing silence, "you are willing to work with Laxus?"

You nodded, glancing at the man to your right, "yeah, it's fine. But," you return your attention to the two men in front of you, "this will be dangerous and I don't want to be responsible for anything that happens when I'm doing it."

Laxus scoffed next to you, "I can take care of myself. It's you that needs to be careful." You narrowed your eyes at the man and he returned the favour, tension running high between the two of you. Lahar and Mest glanced at each other, their eyes holding a hint of fear and worry.

"Sure you can Sparky," you roll yours eyes at him. You remember seeing the flash from the lightning he was in...or became. Which of the two you weren't sure. But it was the shock of power, the spark, that he gave when he touched you that would be forever burned in your mind. From this day on, Laxus would be known as Sparky. You had no idea how he stopped the lightning though. It was as if he absorbed it. It was a strange feeling. You felt the magic being zapped out of you before you stopped the spell. Summoning lightning wasn't like riding the real thing, nothing ever made someone feel more alive. It was why you were always found near the closest storms.

Laxus ducked slightly, getting eye level with you, his eyes burning into yours, "my name is Laxus," he growled, but you could see the hint of confusion in his eyes. You guessed no one ever gave him a nickname before.

"And your nickname is Sparky," you patted his head, "so get used to it."

Growling again in annoyance, he turned to Lahar, this coat whirling behind him, "this is why I work alone!"

Lahar opened his mouth, but Mest interjected before he could, "rules are rules. Either you work together or you don't work at all." You frowned, much like Laxus you were going to demand to do the job alone. But now, it seemed you would have to work with him. You could always deal with it alone, without the council... "And to complete the mission without authorization from the Magic Council is treason."

You glance up at Laxus, "it looks like we're stuck together Sparky," you smirk, watching as his frown deepens.

Mumbling his reluctant agreement, he then turns and walks out. Glancing after him, you turn to look at the two men in front of you, "where is the storm currently?" The storm leaves a trail and destruction and chaos in its wake. Where anything in its way feels its wrath. Whoever is controlling the storm has an end goal in mind. That much, is clear. Now all you had to do is figure out who is controlling it, and why.

As far as you knew there were only five storm mages left. All of whom went into hiding long ago, before you even became a storm mage yourself. Before your Master saved you and took you in as an apprentice. Storm mages were rare because the magic chose the person, not the other way around. A master, your master used to say, always knew a potential Storm Mage when he saw one. You had to be free spirited, like the lightning and winds you controlled but ground, and you had to have a sense of purpose. Without a reason or a will to live, the magic overpowered the user. Most people were too scared to start learning once they heard the basics of becoming a Storm Mage. It wasn't powerful like dragon or god slayers, but it packed a nasty punch.

"At this current moment of time it's over a small town called Clover Town. Small, and it reached it yesterday. It's a day's ride on the train and the mayor is going to meet you outside of the town." Of course, you knew that you couldn't get the train into the town, to the closest town maybe and then walking to Clover Town from there would be your best option.