Chapter Five: In the Shadows

Shimmying into her grey pencil skirt, Mahnoor closed the buttons of her plush pink shirt ready for work. It was Monday morning and all weekend Ayaaz gave her the silent treatment. When Ayaaz fell silent, it meant she had major making up to do.

Mahnoor rushed downstairs and stepped into her black 3 inch stilettos heels making her way into the kitchen and grabbed her freshly blended green juice beaker.

"Ayaaz!" She called out to him as his bedroom was just above the kitchen. "I've made you some porridge. Get it before it gets cold." She sang out and set off to the office.

Once she stepped into the centre she had no time to think about personal life. She was dealing with other people's personal life. Their traumas and devastation. They relied on her headstrong and executive decisions.

"We have seven referrals over the weekend." Sheetal counted the paperwork. "Two from the police and one from social services. They all require accommodation and the necessities."

Mahnoor clicked on her laptop switching it on. "Give the initial assessment to Mariam to complete. Arrange for them to come to the centre so they can get acquainted to the area and the services we offer here." Mahnoor instructed and unscrewed the lid of her beaker.

"Here are the accounts." Sheeetal placed the folder on the table. "My wonderful husband completed them last night for you."

"Thank him from me." Mahnoor smiled and leaned forward taking the folder. "The auditors are coming in today ad publishing the accounts, I need all the I dotted and the T's crossed." She flicked through the paperwork.

Maraiam walked in with a bouquet of flowers and placed it on the table. "Flowers delivered especially for you." Mariam sang out in a sing song winking at Sheetal.

"Oh?" Sheetal raised her eyebrow at Mariam." Who delivered it?"

"Courier."

They both stood by the desk eagerly waiting to discover the sender.

"Looking forward to seeing you at the British Muslim Business Awards." Mahnoor read aloud. "Raja Naveed."

"Oh!" Sheetal and Mariam groaned simultaneously their shoulders drooped.

"Mr Rice Man." Mariam made her way to the filing cabinets and continued with her task in hand.

"Mark my words, Qureshi, that man will propose to you one day." Sheetal pointed with the point of her pen.

Mahnoor had no time to mull over the gesture. She took the flowers into the meeting room preparing it for the trustees.

"You didn't tell me how your evening went with Amirah's family?" Sheetal popped her head in by the door.

"Don't ask Sheetal." Mahnoor took out the individual flowers and arranged them in the glass vase.

It was a disaster."

Curiosity dragged Sheetal into the room.

"Amirah's family-" Mahnoor paused and rephrased. "Amirah's father is from a different world. Her father is wealthy. He has an apartment in Raddison Tower."

"Ooh!" Sheetal added.

"First, he had the audacity to make us wait for 30 minutes. Then, when he arrived he interrogated my son like he was a criminal. It's not going to work." Mahnoor collated the sheets of paper from the tables and tidied up the room.

"Think about it, Amirah has three vacations and travels around the world. How can I expect a girl who lives in luxury to slum it in Alum Rock? They are worlds apart. My son is naive to think he will marry Amirah."