Chapter 22: The Wedding- Part I

Just seven miles north of Staffordshire and on the edge of the Chiltern Hills was Knightsbridge Hall Park, UK's most impressive manor houses; the venue perfect for Amirah and Ayaaz's country wedding.

Grand, imposing and elegant, the exquisite Grade I listed country manor built in the 18th century was set on 12 acres of manicured lawns, floral gardens and dancing fountains. The lush green lawns were great for the July wedding, while the surrounding Staffordshire countryside made for a picture-perfect backdrop for photographs.

On arrival at the glorious property the guests were instantly transported back in time, admiring the house's rich heritage. The entrance was exquisite, with a double staircase meeting at the arched front door. The intricate stone work, sash windows and original ornate design of the building's exterior had been retained, ensuring its history and character remain evident.

Manor Park also provided a stunning Bridal Suite. The exquisite bedroom and en suite bathroom would be used by the bride and her bridesmaids ahead of the ceremony to make their final hair and make-up preparations. Dressed in traditional furniture and accessorised with vintage rugs and a free-standing mirror, it was a comfortable and calm space.

However, it was anything but calm in the bridal suite. It was 12 pm and already Amirah was running late. Creams, perfumes, make-up and hair curling thongs were strewn in the bridal suite as Sonya helped her sister prepare. Muddasar and Saadi played in the space whilst their mother was downstairs welcoming the guests.

"Stop pulling it tight!" Amirah moaned at Sonya as she pulled the cord from the back of her red and sliver dress encrusted with crystals. Amirah chose the traditional virginal red colour for her wedding dress before the pregnancy. Now she wanted something plain and pastel, but there was no time. The wedding gown comprised of a long wide shaped skirt designed with opulent embroidery and silver and gold border.

"Why did I choose velvet for a summer wedding?" Amirah cried. The heavy dress weighed a ton on her weak frame, already she was feeling hot and flustered and the wedding hadn't even begun.

"Stop scribbling on the bed!" Sonya turned her head at Mudddasar who used her eye liner to draw black marks on the crisp white bedsheets. The boys were a menace and children didn't mix on wedding days, it was like oil and water. Their handsome grey 3-piece suits, were scraggy and unkept after a couple of hours, how would they fare for the rest of the day?

"This dress if going to fall off you any minute." Sonya tied the cords. "You have lost a considerable amount of weight." Sonya stood back and looked at her sister dressed in a fantastic red. Her hair curled perfectly around her shoulders. Dripping in gold, Amirah adorned a set of heavy gold earrings, bracelets and a set of 12, 24 carat gold bangles on the other arm. But it was the Queen necklace which Sonya was in awe of. Gifted by her father, the large necklace hung from her neck reaching her navel. Her father didn't hold back when it came to dress and jewellery; only the best for his princess. Khizar had a beautician booked to ready Amirah, but Amirah wanted a simple wedding.

"I bet you I will be carrying Muddasar all day whilst mum goes around chatting to everyone." Sonya groaned and pulled her eyeliner off her brother.

"Has dad called?" Amirah looked out of the sash windows and watched the elegant guests cascade into the manor.

Since the announcement of the wedding, Khizar made no contact with Amirah, like he faded off the radar. Today Amirah was worried he wouldn't greet her. He could simply marry her off to Ayaaz and disappear. Tears bubbled to the surface.

"Would you stop worrying?" Sonya lifted Amirah's heavily embroidered dupatta read to pin it on her head. "Dad will be here."

"I've disgraced dad." Amirah sat on the chaise lounge. "-and now he can't wait to get rid of me. After today he won't have to see me again. I bet he hates me." Amirah's bangles jingled on her wiry wrists.