Chapter 4: Leaving it Behind.

A look of terror spread across Mahnoor's face seeing her ex-husband and Khizar head to head with only a narrow path between them. Passersby dragged their feet to a halt piqued by the gathering in the middle of the residential street. Before Mahnoor could stop Khizar, he made the first step and crossed the road.

"So you're Ayaaz's dad?" Khizar stood tall, shoulders back looking at him in the eye.

Basharat nod his head scanning Khizar from his head to toe.

"The infamous dad." Basharat cracked his knuckles clasping his hands behind his back.

Khizar noticed the group of cheerleaders standing in Shabanum's door. "A word of warning." Khizar stepped closer to his ear. "Don't stalk my daughter."

Basharat scoffed and stepped back looking over Khizar's shoulder at Amirah. Amirah shrunk and sat in her dad's car.

"Stalking? Who's stalking?"

"If I ever see you near my daughter's shadow-" He pointed with his index finger.

"She's a sweet girl." Basharat interjected doffing his head at her. "She will make a sweet daughter-in-law." Basharat patted his arm.

Khizar pulled back. His jaw stern, his hands clenched into fists inside his trouser pocket. "Your son will never marry my daughter." He promised. "Mark my words."

"Why? What happened?"

Khizar fished his car fob from his pocket and stepped back. "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." He held his gaze for a second longer making sure he understood.

With all eyes on the luxurious car, Khizar sat in his car with all eyes upon him. The engine purred softly and then with force on the accelerator, Khizar skidded and shot through the narrow like a silver bullet.

Once they left, Basharat ran across the road approaching Mahnoor.

"What happened? Why did he say he will never let his daughter marry Ayaaz?" Mahnoor couldn't face Basharat. She thought about Ayaaz's delicate temperament and facing his father could make him implode. Without a word in reply she made her way back to her doorstep and Basharat followed.

"Go away! If Ayaaz sees you-" Her words trailed off recalling Ayaaz's memory of his belt.

"No. I want to see him." Basharat pursued shoving his foot in the door. "I want to know what happened.

"Ayaaz found out about the money, he got angry and took it out on Amirah." Mahnoor lied covering up the truth. She couldn't face Basharat's wrath.

"Why is he taking it out on Amirah?"

"Please just go. I need to talk to Ayaaz." She pushed him out and slammed the door shut."

"Do you need me to come in? I will talk to him." He shouted from the letterbox.

"You've done enough damage, just go." She slipped down onto the floor in a heap.

Filling his bag with his clothes Ayaaz raced downstairs throwing his toothbrush into his bag. Mahnoor followed him around the house hoping to settle him and talk but she found clothes, shoes and passport in his bag.

"Ayaaz where are you going?" Her eyes rounded in alarm.

Ayaaz pulled the bag out of her hands.

"Have you lost your mind? You've turned Amirah and Khizar away and now you're leaving."

"I don't care!" He growled shoving his towel into the bag. "I don't give a damn about anyone."

"How long with this go on? You can't rule with your anger. Go and apologise to Amirah's dad." She pushed him back. "There is still time. Please. Go!"