Chapter 23- Fuelled

The wedding day gradually winded down. The greasy plates with remnants of food were being carried away by the army of smartly uniformed waiters. Families and friends gathered together in groups catching up and discussing the day. The bride and groom were showered with gifts, monetary notes and well wishes. Music played in the background bringing the day to a gradual end.
Basharat Qureshi sat with his sister away from the centre stage like strangers.
"You should be up there." Shabum pointed. "They didn't call you as a witness for the nikah, the least they can do is allow you to take a picture with your son and daughter in law."
Basharat knew his sister well. She knew the right words to say to wind him up, but he was relaxed. Being present on his son's big day was more than enough.
"You're the father of the groom. You have a right to be up there."
Kashif sat on the far end of the circular table giggling with his cousins whilst looking at the phone. Shabnum noticed their silly behaviour but paid them no regard.
"It's been a wonderful day." Basharat unbuttoned his jacket and sat back watching Mahnoor sit beside her daughter in law and smile for the camera. The light shone gloriously on her skin. She placed her arm around Amirah welcoming her to her family.
"Could we have the parents of the bride and groom please!" The photographer called out.
"There! Finally. At least someone values you." Shabnum nudged Basharat who went off to have his pictures taken.

Once Basharat left, Kashif and his cousins' laughter seized Shabnum's attention. She stretched out over the table and snatched his Iphone out of his hand.
"What are you laughing at?"
Kashif made his way around the table and stood next to his mum. Shabnum flicked through the pictures but stopped at one. She squinted looking closely at the picture. It was a woman's pastel pink scarf with trinkets hanging over a man's shoulder who was dressed in a royal blue jacket.
"When did you take this picture? Who is it?" She waved the mobile in his face. She couldn't make out the figures. The picture was of poor quality and zoomed in. Kashif shrugged his shoulders refusing to tell his mum, until Shabnum clipped his ear.
"It's Mami Mahnoor. She was in that other room." He confessed.
Shabum's jaw dropped to the floor. Of course, it was her. She'd see the jacket before. She couldn't see the face, it was just the back. The dupatta had trinkets. Her eyes shot a look at Mahnoor who wore the exact colour. Shabnum bought the mobile to her face. She was hugging a man? Her hands were around his shoulders.
"They were in the store room together."
"They? Who is this man? Tell me." She clipped his ear once again.

Kashif looked around the hall to find the man. He looked onto the stage where the close family were gathered next to the bride and groom. Then he pointed at the man who was in the picture. Shabnum's mouth dropped open wide. She found the man who Mahnoor was secretly seeing.

***

On the stage, the families gathered around the bride and groom to take the final family pictures. The photographer directed various members of the family around the couch so he could squeeze them in the frame. Once the grandparents took the picture the photographer called for the parents of the groom.
Mahnoor held her dress above her ankles and made her way towards the back of the couch. Khizar straighten his jacket and followed closely behind. He stood next to Mahnoor brushing her hand against hers. Mahnoor gazed up at him and found his eyes penetrating her.
"Stop staring at me like that. You're making me uncomfortable."
But Khizar, couldn't take his eyes off her. After today, he was unsure when he would see her again. Basharat noticed Khizar's rude eyes upon Mahnoor and how Mahnoor was nervous. She was itching her neck in her nervous twitch. He knew her well. Quickly, he made his way and stood between them. He shuffled Mahnoor away from Khizar and remained closer to Mahnoor. Nadiya stood beside Khizar and whispered.
"You're making it obvious. Unless you want everyone to find out." She mumbled at him.
"Maybe it's for the best everyone finds out." He admitted.
Eluding Basharat, Mahnoor made her way round and sat beside Amirah. She held her soft warm hands in hers and smiled for the camera.
"I'm so hot, auntie." Amirah complained.
"It's not long now darling. Once we get you home, you can change into something comfortable." Mahnoor took a piece of the gulab jaman and placed it in her daughter in law's mouth. Amirah bit a piece and Mahnoor proceeded to her son. But Ayaaz brushed her hand away.
"Ayaaz? Just a small bite."
Ayaaz shook his head. Mahnoor sensed something strange in his attitude. "Amirah is Ayaaz okay?" She scrutinized his cold response.
"It's his shoes, auntie" She looked at the kussa. "He hates them." Amirah smiled.
But Mahnoor knew her son inside out. Something was troubling him.