Chapter 18: Like Father...

Stepping out of the shower, unsatisfied with the amount of water she had to use, Mahnoor scrubbed the mist from the mirror. With her hair tied up in a red Egyption cotton towel, her mind drifted off to last night's conversation with Shabnum. Talking to Khizar gave her a clear perspective on her past life and she was certain she didn't want Bashrat anywhere near Ayaaz or on the wedding day. But Shabnum had other ideas.

"Why have you changed your mind? Basharat will be very upset when he hears that you don't want the money. I will tell him but what he does is up to him. You know he's his own person." Shabnum complained. "He still wants to see Ayaaz."

"That's up to Ayaaz. I haven't talked to him yet."

"You can't do that. One minute you say he can see his son and next you take it away. Is it about the money?"

"It isn't about the money."

"Then don't do this to him. He's excited to see Ayaaz, don't break his heart."

Standing in her bedroom dressed in her chiffon lavender salwar kameez, she rubbed the towel in her hair drying her auburn strands. The decision belonged to Ayaaz, whether he wanted his estranged father at the wedding. It was a conversation that Mahnoor had to approach with caution; discussing Bashrat was a sensitive business.

Mahnoor admired the nude shoes that Khizar gifted her. They stood out from her plain black shoes. Quality spoke volume, even Ayaaz noticed it last night when he saw the designer bag on her bed last night.

"When did you buy these?" He admired them.

"I didn't buy them, Amirah's dad gifted them to me." Mahnoor explained about the confusion and mixed up shopping trip. "Have you asked Amirah if she is okay?"

"I didn't know she was sick." He looked at the price tag. "These are well expensive."

"Your father-in-law insisted. I couldn't be rude."

Mahnoor read the strained expression on her son's face. There was something troubling him.

"Are you okay?"

Ayaaz bit his tongue and held the thought leaving the room quietly. 

Making her way down the stairs today Mahnoor was meeting Rajah Naveed at 4p.m at the office. There, she was ready to be open and honest. It was time to tell him in a professional and respectful manner that she admired him but couldn't accept his marriage proposal. With her damp tresses now coiling around her face, she looked at the green hose pipe leading outside.

"How many times have I told him not to use the water when I'm in the shower?" She gritted her teeth scolding him in the front drive way. Ayaaz raised the hose pipe threatening her with the spray of water. Mahnoor shut the door and chuckled. "Bathmeez! (naughty)"

Making her way into the lounge, Mahnoor thoroughly rubbed the towel into her hair not noticing her visitor. Sitting in the lounge in his white polo shirt accompanied with cricket white sport trousers centred with a crease was Khizar Khan. He stood up; the moment Mahnoor entered her hair falling around her causing his mouth to become dry. Last night was the longest night in history. Mahnoor had left her scarf in his car, thankfully giving him a reason to see her again.

"Oh!" Mahnoor stepped back in surprise seeing him early morning in her lounge.

Khizar instantly neared her watching her hair feather around her face.

"You left this." He held out her scarf.

"I didn't realise." She took her scarf from him. "You didn't have to trouble yourself." She raked her fingers through her damp tresses pushing them back.