Chapter 12: Chrysalis

Click Caption on the video to view subtitles on You tube Vid.  

_________________________________________

It is not possible to praise the beauty of my beloved
Husn-e-jaanaa ki taareef mumkin nahi  
Praise to the creator; Praise to the creator;
Afreen Afreen, Afreen Afreen  
Even if you see my beloved, you would agree
Tu bhi dekhe agar to kahe ham-nashiiN  
Afreen Afreen, Afreen Afreen 
Praise to the creator; Praise to the creator;

Aankhein dekhi to mein dekhtha reh gaya

When I saw her eyes I was transfixed
Jaam do aur donon hi do aatishah
Are these eyes? or the two doors of wine-house
They are like two cups of wine that are ablaze

Do I call them eyes or a part of my dreams
Aankhein ya maikade ki yeh do baab
hai
Aankhein inko kahoon ya kahoon khuwaab hai
Are these eyes or a dream?

Aankhein neechi hui to haya ban gayi
Her downward glance is the symbol of shyness

Aankhein unchi howi to dua ban gayi
Her upward glance is like prayer

Aankhein uth kar jhuki to ada ban gayi
When her eyes look down after upward glance, it feels like a style

Aankhein jhuk kar uthi to Sazah ban gayi
When her eyes look up after downward glance, it feels like a punishment

Aankhein jin mein hai qaid aasman-o-zameen
Nargisi nargisi,
Surmayi surmayi
Eyes, in which the sky and earth are captured
like Narcissus (plant)
(and) Greyish

____________________________________________

As the auspicious hour drew near of Khizar Khan's and Mahnoor Qureshi's nikah, Mahnoor sat in the women's hall practising her breathing exercises taking short deep breaths in and out. Mumtaz Qureshi sat beside her and Sheetal's weight of her hand rested upon the back of her chair with Sophie whispering behind. The soft musk of the room teased Mahnoor's senses of what was yet to come.

Nervously, Mahnoor clutched onto her gold silver clutch purse gripping it tight. Her heavily embroidered  duppatta hung low over her head. The memory when she married Basharat flashed before her. It was small wedding. Basharat's brother Ismail covered the costs as Basharat had no savings to his name. The haq mehar was £50, the wedding small but controversial but Mahnoor was excited. Today was different, it wasn't excitement that filled her stomach with butterflies, it was nerves and fear that made her stomach twist and turn.
"They're here." Whispered Mumtaz, informing Mahnoor the arrival of the imam. This made Mahnoor's heart beat with intensity like it was going to explode. Her mehndi adorned hands clutched her bag a little tighter until her knuckles turned white.
The imam sat beside the bride with Feroz and Emraad within hearing distancing. The imam initiated the nikkah and recited the prayer and Mahnoor closed her eyes. After few minutes the imam promoted the all important question to the bride.
"Do you, Mahnoor Qureshi, take Khizar Khan to be your lawful wedded husband for the Haq Mehar of £375,000?"
Mahnoor drew in a sharp breath in shock. Her Arabesque smoky eyelids flicked back and her eyes darted at the imam. The imam quickly lowered his gaze.
"What's Haq mehar?" Sheetal asked Sophie.
"It's dowry. The groom must promise to give a gift of an agreed sum to the bride."
"Over quarter of a million pounds?" Sheetal's lips rounded to an O. Both women were left stunned. Sophie stared at Feroz in shock.
"How much?" Mahnoor straightened her spine peering at the paperwork. "Who agreed this?"
Emraad leaned forward. "Khizar agreed. It's his decision. Do you agree?"
Mahnoor eyed Mumtaz hoping she would speak up. Mumtaz patted her hand muting her voice of discontent. "It is his decision. You must accept it. Imam please continue." Mumtaz hurried the imam knowing Mahnoor would demand a fraction. If Khizar wanted to gift a large amount, then there was no need to complain.