Chapter 20: The Arbitration

The text message caused a ripple that created a wave of anger through Mahnoor. Sitting in the driving seat, Mahnoor channelled her frustration through sudden and sharp turns in third gear, harsh braking and raced through residential areas. Helplessly, Ayaaz held onto his seat absorbing his mother's rage. At least she showed some emotion, over the past few days the silence was murderous.
"Tum ne mujhe bathaya kyu nai? (Why didn't you tell me?) Jab thume text mila tha, usi waqt batana chahiye tha! (When you received the text, you should have told me!)" Mahnoor scolded her son.

"Mum you were asleep." Ayaaz droned.
"Thu jag jaathi! (I would have awoken) Soye huwi thi, mar thu nahi huwi? (I was asleep, not dead!) Kya tum Nadia ke ghar akele jana chahte the? (Did you want to go to Nadiya's house alone?" Her narrows eyes glazed over her son.
"No-"
"Nadiya tume ghar me kabhi nahi ghusne doo gi! (Nadiya will never allow you to enter her house)" Mahnoor stamped on the accelerator racing to Nadiya's house. Ayaaz silently admitted he made a grave mistake keeping the text secret. He wasn't sure if Khizar wanted his mother to come, but eventually Ayaaz showed his mother the text message when she returned from work the next day. Once she saw the text, her blood pressure escalated. She was livid. It was 7pm and the meeting was in half an hour. Quickly, she slipped into her chiffon lilac dress with matching duppatta and freshened up.

"Mum you're speeding." He looked at the speedometer as it reached speeds in excess of 45 MPH.
"No I'm not. I'm only doing 30." She flicked her hair back and her chiffon duppata slipped off her head.

"It's a 20 speed limit." He looked at the repeaters warning them.

"Don't tell me what to do!" Mahnoor snapped. "You're my son. I want what is best for you. You think Amirah's dad cares about you? I will fight your corner, no one else will"

"I know ammi." Ayaaz bowed his head.

"So why didn't he call me? Why text you?"

"I dunno." He mumbled.

"What has he-" She faltered. She couldn't complete the sentence as it was too painful. She channelled her anger through Ayaaz, when it was meant for Khizar. A major decision was being made, so why didn't Khizar include her? Why didn't Khizar call her? In the misunderstanding the rift between the newly married couple widened into a chasm of discontent.

However, for the sake of her son, Mahnoor kept her anger simmering on the back burner. It was time to use her cool head and negotiate her son's future. She couldn't be angry at Khizar, she couldn't afford it. Khizar had the upper hand; he was the father of the bride so she had to remain patient and calm. So far he'd made no attempt to call her, to text but she remained loyal and left food at his apartment and couldn't stop thinking about him. After all if he wanted to push her away, she wasn't going to back off. She'd married him, she fulfilled her duty as his wife with due diligence.

When Mahnoor and Ayyaz arrived in Sparkhill, they were met with a frosty reception. Nadiya was on the defensive when she opened the door.
"I don't know why he called you here. Nothing will come of it." Nadiya carried her son on her hip and turned her nose at Mahnoor and her son. But Mahnoor made her way through the hallway into the lounge. Ayaaz walked behind his mother afraid to look up and around. Where was Amirah? Would he be able to see her? In his back pocket was a short letter he'd scribbled down for her. Would he be able to give it to her?
"If Khizar thinks he can arrive at the last minute and make a snap decision, well then he is wrong." Nadiya continued to provoke Mahnoor, but Mahnoor was steadfast. She embraced Sonya and gave her a soft kiss.
"Where is Amirah?" She asked Sonya.
"Amirah is not coming downstairs." Nadiya stood in the doorway. "She will not come in front of your son."
"Well my Ayaaz isn't going anywhere." Mahnoor snaked her arm around her son's strong bicep. "He is here to stay until Amirah's dad arrives." She sat down on the settee with Ayaaz next to her in defiance with one leg over the other.
"As soon as this farce is over, you best leave." Nadiya spoke sharply.
"I'm here for Amirah. Until I see her I will not move." Mahnoor folded her arms firm like a wall.
"Well you'll be waiting a long time. We have made alternative plans." Nadiya scoffed with malice.
"Like what?"
"Like having nothing to do with you or your son." Nadiya screwed her nose at them. She smacked Muddsar's hand away as he tried to pull her earrings.
"You can't do that. We have rights."
"Yes, in this country you may, not there."
"Where? What are you talking about?"
Mahnoor sensed a creepy undertone. She grew worried.
"Mum leave it." Ayaaz tugged his mother. "Let's wait for uncle."
"What's your uncle going to do?" Nadiya mocked him. "The water has passed under the bridge."
Sonya rolled her eyes. Her mum tried to sound clever but she got the idiom wrong.