Chapter Seven: Rivalry

It was the morning of bad news for Mahnoor Qureshi. She sat at her desk as Sheetal reported news of a 26 year old service user Dilara Parveen left the women's refuge and returned to her violent husband.

Making the decision to leave her violent relationship was in itself an immensely difficult decision for Dilara. In fact, the hardest part was Dilara to live independently away from family and friends in fear that he could find her. Dilara's violent and controlling husband tore her self confidence limb from limb over the 5 years of their marriage. It was easy degrading her and emotionally abusing her making her feel worthless.

'You can't do anything! You're useless! Look at the state of you; it's lucky you have me!'

The mere thought of living independently was a paralysing thought after he controlled every aspect of her and her childrens' lives.

Mahnoor knew Dilara's journey well. She travelled through the rocky road four times. When she left Basharat for the fifth and final time, the decision proved fatal, When Basharat caught up with her, she was left fighting for her life.

"I told you, if you ever left me, you wouldn't live to see another day."

His chilling threats ringed in her ear when she read Dilara's report. Dilara and her two children were at risk.

Mahnoor could clearly see a timid, quiet and reserved Dilara sitting alone in the room of women's refuge and succumbing to the temptation of answering her husband's call. Just like Basharat, these manipulative men would cry, beg for forgiveness and lament that life was not the same without the children and he would never do it again.

"I will change."

Famous last words.

A false promise that never materialised. In fact it was bait to return to the trap; until one day his anger grew violent and she would lose her battle in life. The statistics were proof: every week two women die from domestic violence in the UK.

"Have social services been informed?" Mahnoor asked.

"Yes, they've scheduled a MARAC meeting at 2pm."

Mahnoor checked her diary ready to shift appointments so she could prioritise the meeting. The multi-agency meeting was essential to assess the risks associated with Dailara's decision There was a high chance she could lose her children if she chose to live with her husband. Safeguarding the children was paramount.

"How did the dinner go with Amirah's grandparents?" Sheetal asked, casting Mahnoor's mind back to the previous weekend.

It was an important meeting when Amriah's grandparents met Ayaaz and have a final say on the proposal. Yet, a week passed since the dinner and there was no positive reply. Mahnoor grew concerned that they would refuse the proposal.

"They still haven't got back to me." Mahnoor checked her mobile phone in case she missed a call. But the screen was blank.

"Well, no news is good news."

It was Ayaaz's dashing face, his eyes outlined in kohl with a dot near his ear to protect him from evil eyes, which bought a smile to Mahnoor's face. Dressed in a dapper black salwar kameez, pride beamed from Mahnoor's smile; her son would soon be a married man.

Dressed in a sheen silk lavender dress in a U shape bias cut, the dress complimented her slim waist with detailed gem stones buttons. It was a gifte she kept for a special occasion where she could wow the guests.