Chapter 15: Unfurled Fears

Author's note: It's gonna get hot in here. So switch on that fan.  ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sitting quietly in the car for the past ten minutes Mahnoor wondered where Khizar was taking her. The setting sun created a magnificent golden orange sky in the puffs of cloud as darkness gently fingered the sky. Mahnoor wasn't sure how to break the tense silence between them, so she began with the most British subject that always provoked a reply.

"Lovely day today. Nice and warm." She said hoping for a reply to discern his mood.
Instead Khizar maintained the silence. His face was strained, his hands clenched hard around the steering wheel. Mahnoor peered at the speedometer and noticed he was over the speed limit. He was infusing his rage through the accelerator. Mahnoor hated seeing Khizar like this. Where was he taking her?

Half an hour later, when it was softly dark, Khizar parked in a leafy suburb just outside Birmingham. The lawns were perfectly manicured with extra large driveways for each detached house that earmarked an affluent area.
"Where are we?" Mahnoor asked but still no reply. Khizar stepped out of the car and stood in front of one particular house with his arms crossed. Mahnoor stood beside him gazing at the large property. The floor lights shone on the stone white pillars creating an amazing light like a show room.
"Khizar, what are we doing here? Whose house is this?"
"Come." He broke the silence and beckoned her towards the brick driveway.
Nervously she made her way through the driveway cautious of the fact she was trespassing. Mahnoor looked around, shifting her gaze checking to see if she was being watched. Khizar made his way between the two stone pillars and stood before the black door with two frosted windows.
"Here." He took out a bunch of keys and gave it to her.
"I don't understand."
Khizar was persistent that she opened the door. So, Mahnoor humoured him and followed his command. The keys opened the front door, which was relief to Mahnoor that they weren't trespassing. The door opened to a dark hallway. Instantly a fresh chemical smell assaulted Mahnoor, like the house was painted with a fresh lick of paint. Khizar reached for the light switch like he had visited before and the lights blinked on. The door opened to a sandy brown hardwood floor. The hallway was large, wide with plain ivory walls. The 6 foot tall coat hanger was bare like no one lived in the house. Still wary and guarded, Mahnoor made her way inside. A smell of freshly carpeted floors struck her, like the house was brand new. The corridor lead her inside to a large dark room which echoed her footsteps. When Khizar switched the lights on, the glossy white counters revealed a sparkling bare kitchen. The room was L shaped. Along the far wall were two sets of French doors overlooking the dark garden. Mahnoor could imagine the south face room flooding with summer sun and warming up the room. On the left side of the room was a modern kitchen. The counters had a glossy white shine with a 8 hob stove. In the centre was an island that contained the double sink. The kitchen was barren, not a pot, a spoon, nor dishes in sight. It was obvious no one lived here.

Khizar stood back and watched Mahnoor bask in the kitchen in awe. She'd tied her hair up in a bun exposing the curve of her neck. Khizar felt tempted to glide his fingers along her neck but kept his fingers in his pocket. The chiffon dress hugged her figure and drew attention to her curvaceous waist. He could hear an imaginary piano play in the lounge spilling notes into the kitchen. This house belonged to Mahnoor. 
"Are you going to tell me what we are doing here? Whose house is this?" Mahnoor ran her fingers along the cabinet enjoying the silky smooth touch.
"Do you like it?" He stood back.
"Like it?" The house was a dream house. Mahnoor refused to entertain visions of cooking on the spotless 8 hob stove that have her ample space to juggle four large pans at once. On the other side of the room, she could imagine a large 8 seated dining table filled with ebullient guests waiting for her to serve her mouth watering Chicken Karahi. The glass cabinet was perfect to to showcase her finest cutlery imported from Italy. In the corner she could hear the kettle boiling and shudder with a blue light flashing as the kettle reached its peak. Mahnoor shook her head free from the enticing thoughts.
"It's yours." Khizar declared like he could read her thoughts.
"What do you mean it's mine?" She neared him folding her arms nervously.
"Your haq mehar. This house is all yours." With his hands on her shoulders he confirmed he'd gifted her the £375,000 property. Mahnoor tightened her arms around her body. She felt cold. Her body tense. She scanned the large room with trepidation. She shook her shoulders freeing herself from Khizar. Then she stepped out of his hold and turned away from him.
"The house has 5 large bedrooms with en-suites. The master bedroom has its own walk in shower. Large lounge, separate dining room. Conservatory. You have to see it to appreciate it. I left a blank canvas so you can dress it up." He grabbed her wrist eager to take her give her a guided tour.
"Come, let me show you." He led her to the door but Mahnoor dug her heels and stopped. She brushed off his dominant hand over her wrist and pulled back.
"Mujhe yeh nahi chaiye. (I don't want this)." Mahnoor stuttered feeling like she'd boarded a ship that she had no knowledge of where it was sailing. She wanted to leave. 
"I have a small house in Alum Rock. I'm happy." But Khizar was captain of this ship. He was determined to make her take this journey.
"That's your past." Khizar explained. "This house is your future. Our future." From the shoulders, Khizar turned Mahnoor so she face the French doors looking into the dark night.
"Think of the evenings we can entertain with conversation flowing with fluidity in this room." Khizar leaned over her shoulder like a commandeering captain pointing into the horizon and of the treasures the journey could offer. Mahnoor couldn't share his vision.
"Are you ashamed of my past?" Mahnoor stepped out of his hold. "Are you ashamed of the street where I grew up? Is this your way of changing me?"
"No-you've got it wrong-" He inched towards her.