Chapter 17- The 'Date'

Stepping into the Lebanese restaurant, Al Bader  was a  Middle Eastern culinary delight serving the finest Lebanese and Moroccan food . The smartly dressed waitress in a white shirt and black trousers led Mahnoor and Khizar into the exquisitely designed light-filled space through the arch shaped pillars. The decor was a traditional simplistic design with chunky emerald green glasses bursting with bright colours on the wood tables paired with a rustic yet shiny pewter finish Juliska plate. The details, shapes, materials, motifs were repeated around the space reinforcing the design. The chairs, forest green leather with nail heads gave the feel of a vintage back street in Beirut. Bordering around the tables were traditional cushioned seats, where the waitress seated the couple. 

"Would you like drinks?" The waitress asked as they looked at the drinks menu.

"Lemon-" they simultaneously spoke. The waitress stopped writing looking at them.

"Sorry- you go first." Khizar leaned back and held his hand out.

"No. Sorry." Mahnoor smiled and coiled her hair behind her ear. "I relish their lemon mint mojito."

He liked her choice. "Two." He ordered.

The waitress stepped back allowing the nervous couple time to mull over the menu. Quickly she stepped behind the bar and elbowed her colleague motioning her attention to the smart couple.

"What do you think? Business meeting? Dating? Or secret affair? They're nervous as hell. Talking at once and  jittering." Rafah explained.

Lamya squinted scrutinising the couple. Dressed stylishly it seemed like a business lunch, but there was something else she couldn't put her finger on. She watched the way Mahnoor took brief glances at the handsome silver fox friend. His smile was playful with a little mischief.

"If they are colleagues at a business lunch-" Lamya polished the crystal glass with a cloth. "They totally dig each other."

It was the perfect moment to settle the guilt that was troubling Mahnoor. "Firstly, Khizar I must apologise." Mahnoor nervously ran her finger around the menu with her eyes firmly bowed.

Khizar rested his chin on his forefinger watching her intently. "Whatever for?"

"I've been most discourteous. I'm not usually inattentive, but I guess I was waylaid."

Khziar unfastened his suit jacket button. He relaxed with his arm extended on the back of the seat. "You have my full attention." He sighed contently.

Mahnoor couldn't look up, afraid she wouldn't be able to complete her sentence. "That night, when Kara was in hospital, you trusted me and confided in me. But come the morning, I didn't contact you. How have you been?" She straightened her hair to the left side of her neck and met his gaze.

Khizar ran his hand over his two day old beard. It was on that night he realised he was locked in a storm of guilt. He couldn't move forward by looking back. The guilt tore him stealing precious moments with his family. Soon, it was too late and the force of the storm destroyed his marriage. One tragedy led to another and he watched helplessly.

That night, Mahnoor was the perfect stranger who had no affiliations with his past. Her natural aura earned his trust, instilled compassion and pulled him out of the vicious storm. He rode to safety on a wave of tears. 

"I never forgave myself." He gazed at the emerald green cup. "To talk to Nadiya was to admit it was my fault, so I ran as far as I could, leaving my marriage in ruins."

Touched by his mournful tone and his solemn gaze, she watched him intently from his stern jaw, down towards the dimple on his chin.

"I lost important years with my girls. I won't let that happen again. So, I made a concerted effort to spend quality time with the girls."