Chapter 22- The Wedding: Part V

Dropping her jaw and pursing her lips, Nadiya took the final step off the stair case ready to speak. But Nadiya cut her off.

"Did you two think it through? I guess your Ayaaz doesn't know, that's why the hush hush." Nadiya neared her.
Mahnoor's chest tightened in fear. "It wasn't like that. Let me explain."
"I don't want to know the ins and outs of your sordid affair." Nadiya snapped.
"It's not an affair." Mahnoor retaliated. "We're married."
"Yes of course, you keep telling yourself that. You're lying, hiding behind the kids back."
Muddasar mumbled rubbing his eyes.
"I don't care what you two get up to." Nadiya swayed with her grumbling son. "Just don't spoil my daughter's special day. Amirah has a lot riding on today, she will be the one holding the baby. Let this day be over."
At last, there was something that the two women agreed on.
"Keep quiet."

Mahnoor let out a frustrated sigh. It was only a matter of time word would get around to Ayaaz. And then what? She could back track and tell Ayaaz that it was over. The news had to come from her, but not now. Not today.

Making her way towards the back of the hall, she passed the kitchen and made her way to the back entrance. Perturbed with her encounter with Nadiya, she needed a breath of fresh air and a moment to think. She turned the corner when suddenly, she halted. Standing before her with his hands in his trouser pocket was Khizar Khan. Mahnoor's heart plunged to her feet. The royal blue brocade jacket cut to precision complimented his lean figure. The daring silver embroidery highlighted his silver streaks near his temples. Mahnoor couldn't help but stare rudely.

A group of boys, including Kashif interrupted the pair and raced between them excited about the water fountain. They were ready to splash into spoil their fancy clothes. Nervously, Mahnoor lowered her gaze and scratched her neck tugging at the necklace.

"I need to talk to you." She began.

Once the children dashed through the giant double doors, Mahnoor was alone once again with Khizar.
"I've just spoken to Amirah, she's in tears. Have you seen her?" Mahnoor pushed passed the instant attraction to discuss the pressing matter.

Khizar turned away. A heavy weight burdened his back. The words mangled at the back of his throat. He couldn't face Amirah. What would he say to her?

"Today is the most important day of her life. She needs you. She needs her father." Mahnoor pressed him."

"I'm here." Khizar said and turned his back on Mahnoor. He began to walk the way he came from. Why was he running away? Mahnoor followed him closely behind refusing to give up.

"You're here in body. Not spirit." Mahnoor hurried behind him.

Khizar sidestepped into a room. He snatched Mahnoor's wrist and pulled in into the dark room. Fear clawed into her. She turned around but it was pitch black. The smell of dust and damp lingered in the air. The light flickered on. Mahnoor scanned the chairs stacked high with rounded table tops leaning against the wall. He dragged her into a storeroom.

The sound of footsteps made Mahnoor pivot on her heel. Standing before her Khizar invaded her personal space. "You seem very friendly waltzing around with your ex?" A prodding resentment laced his tone. He held back with fortitude.

Finally, he showed some form of emotion. After weeks of radio silence and only fears demoralising her, Khizar was irritated. Mahnoor smiled secretly and stepped away from his intimidating presence.

"He's Ayaaz's dad. What do you want me to do? Pretend he is invisible."

"You're my wife." He snapped, pulling her arm and yanking her towards him.