Struck (A Vampire Novel)

Category: Vampire, paranormal
Rating: 10/10

This book was originally supposed to be a part of a series, but the author has announced that she no longer has any intention to finish writing the sequel. That being said, my feelings for Struck have not changed. To me, I feel like it is a strong enough story to stand on its own, and does not need a sequel, since there are no plot holes or cliffhangers in the ending. That being said, I still wanted to warn anyone who is considering reading this so that they do not become upset with the author, or with me for recommending it. Now on to the review.

I thought I had given up on the vampire novels online. All of them usually have the same premise: girl gets captured, girl gets Stockholm Syndrome, and they face some threat but win and live happily ever after. While I wouldn't say that Struck isn't completely innocent of that, there is just something about it that drew me in.

This author has a great style, and writes like a professional. Throughout this whole story I was kept guessing on what was actually going on with the main character. They were able to further the main plot, but cleverly adding in the information during events in each chapter. This book is highly addicting simply because of that fact, and that there wasn't one chapter I found boring, or a filler with just a ton of information that needed to be presented. I love that they took their time revealing everything to us, which just builds the suspense.

I really don't want to give away too much about what happens, so being as vague as possible, I would say the way the author describes the emotions of the main character, as well as the magic that happens and certain feeling is just so amazing to read. I think this is why I got so wrapped up in it. I love it when I can effectively put my mind into the fictional character's, and to some degree actually feel what they are feeling. 

I suppose a small warning concerning graphic nature is needed. There's not too much detail, but if you are highly sensitive to that kind of stuff, then you may not enjoy it as much. To me, I felt that it really did allow you to immerse yourself into the main character's mindset.

Things to expect: heavy petting, torture, magic, love, friendship, hurt, comfort, loss, excitement, mystery, and vampires.

Summery as written by the author:

Elysia's life is turned upside-down when she's abducted by supernatural creatures with demonic eyes and threatening fangs. What's worse is she has no idea what it is they want from her, except that it has something to do with a side of her that she's never known.

The chances of Elysia getting out alive are slim, but perhaps with a bit of luck and a lot of bravery she can escape with more than just her life.

Excerpt:

''What trick is this?'' The creature asked, but it didn't sound like a vicious question. He sounded... confused. When I didn't answer, he appeared in front of me, snatching my face in his hand once more and growling. ''What is that on your back?''

''I don't know,'' I blindly answered, but corrected myself quickly when his grip tightened dangerously, ''It's a birth mark, the doctors called it a... a Lichtenberg figure. My mother said I was born with it, I swear it, even though it's usually what happens when you survive being struck-''

''-by lightning.''